Westminster Christian Academy (Georgia)
|Westminster Christian Academy|
|1640 New High Shoals Road
Watkinsville, Georgia 30677
|Religious affiliation(s)||Christian (Protestant)|
|NCES School ID||A9102257 |
|Nickname||Lions, Lady Lions|
|Lower School Principal|||
|Upper School Principal||Ryan Gibadlo|
Westminster Christian Academy was founded in the fall of 1989. The school's initial class was composed of 10 first, second, and third grade students meeting in rented space at Faith Presbyterian Church in Watkinsville, taught by Karen Schaefer. The school grew alongside the oldest students in this first class, adding a new grade level after each school year.
In 1994, enrollment in the school outgrew the capacity of its facilities at Faith Presbyterian. As a result, the school's lower grades (K-4) remained at Faith, and the higher grades (5-8, the highest grade offered at the time) moved to facilities at Watkinsville First Baptist Church. WCA's first high school class graduated in the spring of 1999.
The school completed the first phase of development at its present location, a 30-acre (120,000 m2) site in Oconee County, in the fall of 1998. An additional expansion has been planned that would add a new gymnasium and bring the school's capacity to 500 students.
The school enrolled 270 students across all grades for the 2011-2012 academic year.
WCA's facilities include an administration building, which also houses the library; a lower-school building, which houses Pre-K through fifth grade; an upper-school building with a gymnasium, which houses the middle grades and Westminster High School; and two athletic fields. The gymnasium houses ten classrooms.
Uniforms are required on four out of five days; on "casual Friday," students can wear non-torn jeans, and T-shirts without emblems. A chapel is held every Thursday mornings where all students K-12 sing praise songs and hymns before going to their regular classes.
- Baseball - boys'
- Basketball - boys' and girls'
- Cheerleading - girls'
- Cross country - boys' and girls'
- Soccer - boys' and girls'
- Swimming - boys' and girls'
- Volleyball - girls'
The school claims that nearly 75% of the student body participates in an officially-sanctioned sport.
- "Private School Universe Survey". National Center for Education Statistics. 2009-2010 academic year. Retrieved 10 April 2012. Check date values in:
- "Search for Private Schools – School Detail for Westminster Christian Academy". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved April 10, 2012.
- "Westminster Announces New Head of School". WCA Web Master. March 6, 2015. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "Westminster is Growing" (Press release). Westminster Christian Academy. September 2, 2011. Retrieved April 10, 2012.
- Faculty section of WCA official website. Last accessed April 10, 2012.
- Greg Martin (March 7, 1999). "Private schools add diversity to Athens' educational system". Athens Banner-Herald. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- "Westminster Founder Receives Distinguished Honor" (Press release). Westminster Christian Academy. April 9, 2012. Retrieved April 10, 2012.
- Founding Principles section of WCA official website. Last accessed April 10, 2012.
- "Westminster Christian readies for academy's first expansion". Athens Banner-Herald. February 16, 2008. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- Purpose section of WCA official website. Last accessed April 10, 2012.
- "School list by Region". GISAStats.com. Georgia Independent School Association. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- Athletics section of WCA official website. Last accessed April 10, 2012.