Westwood, Greater Manchester
Featherstall Road South, the main thoroughfare of Westwood
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
Westwood is an urban area of Oldham, in Greater Manchester, England. It occupies a hillside known as North Moor in the western part of Oldham, close to its boundary with Royton and Chadderton. Westwood, which has no formal boundary or extent, is bisected by the A6048 road.
Historically a part of Lancashire, Westwood was formerly an electoral ward of the County Borough of Oldham, but is now split between the wards of Coldhurst and Werneth, which lie to the north and south respectively. Apart from its industrial and commercial units, Westwood's built environment is "almost entirely" composed of Victorian era terraces, with some small pockets of housing association and council house properties.
The Metropolitan Borough of Oldham has the largest population of Bangladeshis in the United Kingdom outside of London. Sixty percent of the borough's Bangladeshi community live in Westwood. Most of them immigrated from the Sylhet Division of Bangladesh. Westwood features a replica of the Shaheed Minar national monument, which commemorates those killed in the Bengali Language Movement demonstrations in 1952.
In the 1980s, unemployment in Westwood experienced a "massive increase", significantly higher than the "modest increase" seen in Oldham as a whole. Ethnicity was attributed as a factor.
- Hills 1996, p. 297.
- Eade, John; Garbin, David (2006). "Competing visions of identity and space: Bangladeshi Muslims in Britain". Contemporary South Asia. 15 (2): 182. doi:10.1080/09584930600955291.
- "Structure / Breakdown". compasslearningcentre.org. Retrieved 2008-11-23.[dead link]
- Pacione 1997, p. 194.
- James 1974, p. 97.
- "Westwood Primary School". westwood.oldham.sch.uk. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- Light Rail Transit Association (2007-11-24). "Manchester to Oldham and Rochdale". lrta.org ork. Archived from the original on 2012-02-11. Retrieved 2008-05-01.
- Marsden, Carl (2008-07-30). "It's in your hands". oldhamadvertiser.co.uk. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority. "Operational Sites". gmwaste.co.uk. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- "Anchor Retail Park". easternconcept.com. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- Hills, John (1996). New Inequalities: The Changing Distribution of Income and Wealth in the United Kingdom. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-55698-8.
- James, Robert Rhodes (1974). Winston S. Churchill: His Complete Speeches, 1897-1963. 1. Chelsea House Publishers. ISBN 0-8352-0693-9.
- Pacione, Michael (1997). Britain's Cities: Geographies of Division in Urban Britain. Routledge. ISBN 0-415-13775-6.