White Hill (Nova Scotia)
|Elevation||535 m (1,755 ft) |
|Prominence||535 m (1,755 ft) |
|Isolation||151.6 km (94.2 mi)|
|Location||Victoria County, Nova Scotia|
|Parent range||Cape Breton Highlands|
|Topo map||NTS O11/K10|
Located on the plateau 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) northwest of Ingonish and 33 kilometres (21 mi) northeast of Cheticamp, the peak is situated in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park and is accessible only by hiking. It is an extremely remote, large flat hill, covered by small spruce trees rising from a marshy, barren, windswept upland about 20 kilometres (12 mi) from the nearest road and 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) from any maintained hiking trails.
There is a first order Natural Resources Canada Geodetic Survey Division Station (Unique Number: 23105) on the summit, consisting of a marker, a brass/bronze disk, set in the top of a concrete pier on a small bedrock outcrop. There was a metal tower marking the site, but it is now lying on the ground (as of 2008). The station was surveyed and placed in June 1923 and the marker was renewed in 1963. The station was inspected by helicopter in 1976 and 1987.
- "Nova Scotia Geographical Names Database entry for "White Hill, County of Victoria" (includes map)". Government of Nova Scotia. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- "White Hill, Nova Scotia". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved April 9, 2012.
- "Geographical Names Board of Canada Database entry for "White Hill, County of Victoria" (includes map)". Natural Resources Canada. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "White Hill". Nova Scotia GeoNAMES Explorer. Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services. Retrieved 28 April 2020.
- Canadian Spatial Reference System Station Report – North Barren, Natural Resources Canada, retrieved 24 June 2018
- NORTH BARREN StationReport / 219601, GeoNova (Province of Nova Scotia), retrieved 24 June 2018
- NORTH BARREN 19601 (PDF), GeoNova (Province of Nova Scotia), retrieved 24 June 2018
- Atlas of Canada – Facts about mountains
- Peakbagger 1994 Summary of White Hill and surroundings (with photo)
- 2007 Summary of hike to White Hill and surroundings (with many photos)
- 2008 Summary of hike to White Hill and surroundings (with many photos)
|This Victoria County, Nova Scotia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|