|This Wikipedia page is outdated. Please update this Wikipedia page to reflect recent events or newly available information and see the talk page for possible discussion on this. (February 2015)|
CatScan is an external tool that searches an article category (and its subcategories) according to specified criteria to find articles, stubs, images, and categories. It can also be used for finding all articles that belong to two specified categories (the intersection). CatScan was developed by the German Wikipedian Duesentrieb and is run on Wikimedia Tool Labs, as part of Wikimedia Foundation's cloud computing environment. Its current release is CatScan V3.0.
- m:CatScan - Instructions
- m:User:Duesentrieb/CatScan - About page
- m:User talk:Duesentrieb/CatScan - Discussion page
- Template:Catscan - "Scan" template that automatically generates a link to a search of two user-defined categories.
Uses and ideas
A few examples of how the English Wikipedia uses CatScan:
- finding articles for deletion sorting, example
- finding articles for an educational project (class): search for stubs within a category corresponding to the class subject
- Until 2014 most tools were run on the toolserver, a previous service provided by Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.