Wikipedians of New York's Greater Capital Region:Picnic will be held on June 23rd, 2012 at the Town of Clifton Park, New York / Veterans' Memorial Park, as part of Great American Wiknic Summer 2012 U.S. events.
- June 23rd, 2012
- 11am - 5pm
- "Veterans' Memorial Park Pavilion at Elks' Trail", 
- 697 MacElroy Road, Clifton Park, New York 12065
- Joint non-profit technical societies event, organized by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Hudson-Mohawk Section's Chair (ASME-HM): "ASME's Allied Sciences / Societies Picnic": Capital Region ASME + IEEE + Wikipedia + NYSES + AIAA + AEE + Vibration Institute
- For newbies, folks learn how to contribute to Wikipedia and meet experienced Saratoga-region Wikipedians as well as members of the Capital Region technology community.
- Barbecue will occur, with possibility for softball and hiking as well. Parents are welcome to bring their children.
- -I think I might! Chrisrus (talk) 04:43, 19 June 2012 (UTC)
- - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Students
- - Bearian (talk) 18:23, 5 June 2012 (UTC)
- - I'd love to go, but sadly I have to work that day. :( JB82 (talk) 15:01, 10 June 2012 (UTC)
- Larry, thanks for organizing the meetup. ---Ira Goldstein (talk) 21:44, 23 June 2012 (UTC)
- Yes, thanks for everything! It was interesting. Chrisrus (talk) 03:09, 24 June 2012 (UTC)
- November 12, 2011
- 1pm - 5pm
- "Program Room C", 2nd Floor 
- 475 Moe Road, Clifton Park, New York 12065
There was something for newbies and experienced Wikipedians alike as I spent an afternoon working on articles, editing Wikipedia, and explaining what Wikipedia volunteers do to interested walk-ins to Program Room C:
- For newbies, folks learned how to contribute to Wikipedia.
- Edit-a-thon: Improved Wikipedia content related to Mechanical Engineering domain topics.
- -Daniel Case (talk) 05:17, 28 October 2011 (UTC) May be passing through the area that day; as it happens I have to go to another non-wiki meetup in Vermont.
Event was promoted within Wikipedia, via email, and on social media groups tied to my Albany, New York geographic area (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook). Two local Wikipedians expressed an interest, but neither showed on day of event. However, members of the public, as well as a member of Clifton Park Library staff, showed an interest during event, and I encouraged them to participate as editors in future. Moving forward, I plan to organize ~montly meetups at more centrally-located - w/r/t RPI, Union, SUNY-Albany, and other regional colleges - *Panera Bread*, Latham Farms, 601 Troy-Schenectady Road, Latham, NY 12110. Have been in touch with UpstateNYer (Albany) and Pharos (NYC) to coordinate. Lawrence Kelley (talk) 19:19, 19 November 2011 (UTC)