Wikipedia:Meetup/San Francisco/SFMain Library April2019
If you have been curious about how Wikipedia articles are created on Wikipedia, join us for an evening of intrigue and demystification. Learn how existing articles are managed and also learn what "anyone can edit" really means. Specifically, get guidance on how to ethically edit the Wikipedia of the company/organization you work for (P.S. from Wikipedia's point of view this involves making suggestion on the article's talk page only. However your company may have additional requirements including not allowing this activity at all). Learn simple tips to participate in other areas of Wikipedia.
- Date: Wednesday, April 17, 2019
- Time: 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM
- Location: San Francisco Public Library Latino Room on Lower Level, 100 Larkin Street, San Francisco, CA
- Registration: FREE! RSVP below
- What to bring Your laptop
Food and Beverage
Great Wikipedia editing calls for good fuel. Snacks and beverages will be served.
Schedule and Agenda
- 5:00-5:30 Guest Check-in and Networking
- 5:30-5:40 Introduction and Event Overview
- 5:40-6:00 Wikipedia - What is it. What it is not.
- 6:00-6:15 How do Wikipedia articles get created
- 6:15-7:00 How to edit Wikipedia articles of companies and organizations. Caveats of Conflict of Interest (COI).
- 7:00-7:30 Group activity
- 7:30 Event Ends
Resources for editing
- Beginners' Guide to Wikipedia (account creation, article editing)
- Five Pillars of Wikipedia (philosophical guidelines and best practices for Wikipedia editing)
- How to Edit a Page