Wikipedia:Peer review/Chicxulub Crater/archive1
An important crater, one of several guessed to have lead to the last extinction event on Earth. Would be great to get general feedback on all aspects of the article. Thanks, David Fuchs (talk) 22:05, 27 September 2007 (UTC)
- "The crater was discovered by Glen Penfield, a geophysicist who had been working in the area." When???
- "Investigations suggest..." weasel words. Directly state what pieces of evidence were used to date the impact.
- "Thus the meteorite associated with the crater is implicated in causing the extinction of the dinosaurs as suggested by the K-T boundary, although there are critics of the idea." Try rewording to make it less vague. Try not to start sentences with "thus."
- "(image courtesy NASA/JPL-Caltech)" this should be stated on image description page, not in the caption.
- In the second paragraph under impact specifics, try to avoid the chain of "would have...would have...would have...would have..." Reword so it sounds less clunky.
- "...creating a harsh environment." statement is too generic.
- Extinction of the dinosaurs section needs a copy editing to make the prose flow smoothly. Avoid vague references.
- "...published the results of the research in the scientific press" why not state the journal name in the paragraph instead of using the vague "scientific press"
- "...to an international geological conference" which one? when?
- Article states that there are "critics of the idea", so what is their explanation of the crater?
- The discovery section is written in a strange way, for example one paragraph leads of with the awkward combination of sentences: "No crater was known to exist in the Caribbean basin. However Hildebrand and Boynton also reported their findings to an international geological conference, sparking substantial interest."
- Jeff Dahl 00:25, 1 October 2007 (UTC)
- You raise some good points
The article could mention the detection of Chromium in sediment samples, which indicates this was a CM2-type carbonaceous chondrite impactor and indirectly links it to the Baptistina parent body. — RJH (talk) 21:43, 1 October 2007 (UTC)