Wikipedia:Peer review/Paul Reubens/archive1
- A script has been used to generate a semi-automated review of the article for issues relating to grammar and house style; it can be found on the automated peer review page for December 2008.
This peer review discussion has been closed.
I've listed this article for peer review because Yamanbaiia has gone above and beyond in her efforts to make this page a GA -- it definitely appears to be very nearly close to FA status (well-written, comprehensive, widely sourced) What else needs to be done?
My personal review
I will keep it brief. Looking at the criteria listed under WP:FA? I am prepared to say that this article meets each of those criteria. However I will leave it up to you to nominate this article for such status. For now I would rate this article and A on the quality scale. Congratulations to all of it's editors. --Hfarmer (talk) 07:09, 22 December 2008 (UTC)
One could complain that the citations of sources do not appear in the lead section. However if one reads on the sources to back up what's in the lead are in the body of the article. --Hfarmer (talk) 07:10, 22 December 2008 (UTC)
Ruhrfisch comments: Very briefly, here are some suggestions for improvement. I think this needs some work before it is ready for FAC.
- The hardest criterion for most articles to achieve at FAC is being written at a professional level of English1a "well-written: its prose is engaging, even brilliant, and of a professional standard;" see WP:WIAFA. I do not think this there yet, here are a few examples:
- Biographies typcially refer to their subject by last name only, so change things like Paul has two younger siblings ...
- Is it Pee-wee Herman (throughout the lead) or is it "Pee-wee Herman" (in quotes), such as The character of "Pee-wee Herman" first originated during a 1978 improvisation exercise with The Groundlings where Reubens came up with the idea ... or Reubens says that there is no specific source for "Pee-wee" but rather a collection of ideas.
- Just in the lead, this could be improved. In 1982 Reubens put up a show about a character he had been developing during the last few years. The show was called The Pee-wee Herman Show and it ran for five sellout months with HBO producing a successful special with it. First off the HBO sepcial was in 1981 according to the article, so having the theater show that preceded it in 1982 makes no sense. The sentences do not make it clear it was a stage show first and are needlessly repetitive. Perhaps this coyuld be changed to something like Reubens originated the character of Pee-wee Herman in 1978, and in 1981 brought The Pee-wee Herman Show to the stage for five sellout months. HBO produced a successful special based on the show.
- Or After his arrest, Reubens spent the next two years caring for his terminally-ill father in Florida, who died on February 21, 2004 of cancer. could be After his arrest, Reubens spent the next two years in Florida caring for his terminally-ill father, who died of cancer on February 21, 2004.
- The article has several short (one or two sentence) paragraphs which interrupt its flow - these should be combined with others or perhaps expanded.
- The lead image caption is unclear - it needs to say which chacater he is portraying (presumably Pee-Wee Herman, although he looks different). Provide context for the reader
- Per WP:MOS#Images, images should be set to thumb width to allow reader preferences to take over. For portrait format images, "upright" can be used to make the image narrower.
- Per WP:HEAD headers of subsections should not repeat the section, unless in a title. So the movies and TV show as headers are OK, but change "Pee-wee's legacy" to just "Legacy"
- Article is way overlinked - Phil Hartman is linked three times in three paragraphs - see WP:OVERLINK
Hope this helps. If my comments are useful, please consider peer reviewing an article, especially one at Wikipedia:Peer review/backlog (which is how I found this article). Yours, Ruhrfisch ><>°° 21:25, 22 December 2008 (UTC)