William Berryman Scott
|William Berryman Scott|
William Berryman Scott, second from the right
12 February 1859|
|Died||29 March 1947(aged 88)|
|Alma mater||Princeton University (1877)
University of Heidelberg (1880)
|Notable students||Elmer S. Riggs, James W. Gidley, Loris Shano Russell, Glenn Lowell Jepsen|
|Known for||White River Oligocene monographs|
|Notable awards||Wollaston Medal (1910)
Mary Clark Thompson Medal(1930)
Penrose Medal (1939)
Daniel Giraud Elliot Medal(1940)
William Berryman Scott (February 12, 1858 – March 29, 1947) was an American vertebrate paleontologist, authority on mammals, and principal author of the White River Oligocene monographs. He was a professor of geology and paleontology at Princeton University.
Born in Cincinnati, Ohio, he graduated from Princeton University in 1877 and received a Ph.D. from University of Heidelberg in 1880. He married Alice Adeline Post on December 15, 1883. Scott served as president of The Geological Society of America in 1925.
- 1910 Wollaston Medal from the Geological Society of London.
- 1930 Mary Clark Thompson Medal from the National Academy of Sciences.
- 1939 Penrose Medal from the Geological Society of America.
- 1940 Daniel Giraud Elliot Medal from the National Academy of Sciences.
- Scott, William Berryman. "American Elephant Myths," Scribner's, April 1887, 469-478.
- Reports of the Princeton University Expeditions to Patagonia, 1896-1899 Princeton, The University, 1901-32 (v. 1, 1903) 8 v. in 13. illus. (part col.) maps (part fold., part col.) tables. 34 cm.
- Scott, William Berryman. Geological climates, by W.B. Scott.
- Scott, William Berryman. A history of land mammals in the western hemisphere. Illustrated with 32 plates and more than 100 drawings, by Bruce Horsfall. New York, The MacMillan Company, 1913.
- Scott, William Berryman. Some memories of a palaeontologist. Princeton, Princeton university press, 1939. 4 p.l., 336 p. front. (port.) 24 cm.
- Scott, William Berryman, 1858- The osteology and relations of Protoceras. Boston, Ginn & company, 1895. 1 p.l., -374. 3 pl. (2 fold.) diagr. 26 cm.
- GSA List of Presidents
- "Wollaston Medal". The Geological Society. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- "Mary Clark Thompson Medal". National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- "Past Award & Medal Recipients - Penrose Medalists". Geological Society of America. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- "Daniel Giraud Elliot Medal". National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 16 February 2011.
- G.G. Simpson: Biographical Memoir of William Berryman Scott (1858–1947). Biographical Memoir 25, National Academy of Sciences (pdf, 1.4 Mb)
- Yale Peabody Museum: History and Archives: William Berryman Scott
- Lefalophodon: William Berryman Scott
|This article about an American scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a paleontologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|