William de Cantilupe (died 1254)
William de Cantilupe (died 25 September 1254) (anciently Cantelow, Cantelou, Canteloupe, Latinised to de Cantilupo) was feudal baron of Eaton Bray in Bedfordshire, and jure uxoris (in right of his wife Eva de Braose, heiress of the de Braose dynasty of Welsh Marcher Lords) was feudal baron of Totnes in Devon and Lord of Abergavenny. His chief residences were at Calne in Wiltshire and Aston Cantlow (named after his family), in Warwickshire, until he inherited Abergavenny Castle and the other estates of that lordship.
Marriage and progeny
At some time before 15 February 1248 Cantilupe married Eva de Braose, daughter and heiress of William de Braose (died 1230) by his wife Eva Marshal, daughter of William Marshall, 1st Earl of Pembroke. By his wife he had children including:
- George de Cantilupe, died 1273, Lord of Abergavenny, only son and heir, married Margaret de Lacy. He died childless, leaving his sisters or their issue as his co-heiresses.
- Millicent de Cantilupe, died 1299,[non-primary source needed]) who married firstly (as his second wife) to John de Montalt, who died in 1273.[non-primary source needed] She remarried to Eudo la Zouche.
- Joan de Cantilupe, died 1271, who married Henry de Hastings (1225-1268).
- Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem. III. London: HMSO. 1912.
- Kingsford, C.L. (2004). "Hastings, Sir Henry (1235?–1269)". In Ridgeway (ed.). Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Stacey, Robert C. (2004). "Cantilupe, William (III) de (d. 1254)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Sir Bernard Burke C.B., LL.D., Ulster King of Arms (compiler). (1996). A Genealogical History of the Dormant, Abeyant, Forfeited and Extinct Peerages of the British Empire. Baltimore:: Genealogical Publishing Co, pg. 101.
- Cokayne, G. E. (1912), Gibbs, V. (ed.), The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, II (new, 13 volumes in 14 (1910–1959) ed.), London: The St. Catherine Press Ltd.
- Frederick Lewis Weis (with additions and corrections by Walter Lee Sheppard, Jr. and assisted by David Faris). (1992). Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America before 1700. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co, Line 66.29. Lines: 39-29, 39A-29, 93A-28, 232A-32