William Paulet, 4th Marquess of Winchester
|Marquess of Winchester
Baron St. John
Arms of Paulet, Marquess of Winchester: Sable, three swords pilewise points in base proper pomels and hilts or
John Paulet, 5th Marquess of Winchester
|Father||William Paulet, 3rd Marquess of Winchester|
|Died||4 February 1629 (aged 68–69)|
|Buried||St. Mary's Church, Basing, Hampshire
William Paulet, 4th Marquess of Winchester (bef. 1560 – 4 February 1629) was an English nobleman, the son of William Paulet, 3rd Marquess of Winchester and Anne or Agnes Howard. He was styled Lord St. John from 1576 to 1598. He was summoned to Parliament on 16 January 1581 in his father's barony as Lord St. John. On 24 November 1598, he succeeded his father as 4th Marquess of Winchester. Paulet experienced great financial difficulties arising from his magnificent style of living and his lavish entertainment of Elizabeth I at Basing House.
Marriage and issue
He married on 28 February 1587 at St Martin-in-the-Fields, Lady Lucy Cecil, daughter of Sir Thomas Cecil, 1st Earl of Exeter and his first wife, Dorothy Neville. Lucy and William had six children:
- William Paulet, Lord St John (1587/8–1621), married Mary Browne, daughter of Anthony-Maria Browne, 2nd Viscount Montagu
- Thomas Paulet, died before 1621
- John Paulet, 5th Marquess of Winchester (c.1598–5 March 1675) married three times:
- Henry Paulet, of Amport, married Lucy Philpot, daughter of Sir George Philpot of Thruxton
- Charles Paulet, died c.1654, had issue
- Edward Paulet
- Cokayne, G. E. (1898). Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, vol. VIII. Exeter: William Pollard. p. 174.
- Goodwin, Gordon (1895). "Paulet, John". In Lee, Sidney. Dictionary of National Biography. 44. London: Smith, Elder & Co. pp. 90–92.
- Lodge, Edmund (1859). The Genealogy of the Existing British Peerage and Baronetage: Containing the Family Histories of the Nobility. London: Hurst and Blackett. p. 580.
- "William Paulet, Marquess of Winchester". Family Search: Community Trees. British Isles. Peerage, Baronetage, and Landed Gentry families with extended lineage. Histfam.familysearch.org. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "William Paulett, 4th Marquess of Winchester". The Peerage. Thepeerage.com. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Winchester, Marquess of (E, 1551)". Cracroft's Peerage. Cracroftspeerage.co.uk. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
|Peerage of England|
|Marquess of Winchester
|Baron St John of Basing
(descended by acceleration)