William Stevens Lawton
|William Stevens Lawton|
Brigadier General Lawton in 1947 as Commandant of the Seacoast Branch of the Field Artillery School
May 16, 1900|
Newport, Rhode Island
|Died||February 26, 1993
Fort Belvoir, Virginia
||United States Army|
|Years of service||1926-1960|
|Commands held||Seacoast Branch, U.S. Army Field Artillery School
Korean Communications Zone
US Army Comptroller
|Battles/wars||World War II
|Awards||Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
|Other work||Vice President, Government Loan Services Savings and Loan Association Inc.|
Start of military career
In 1923, Lawton graduated from both the Army's Primary Flying School and its Advanced Flying School Special Observation Course.
Lawton graduated from the Artillery School Battery Officer Course in 1930. He then carried out Coastal Artillery postings throughout the US and overseas, including the 61st Coast Artillery Battalion at Fort Sheridan, Illinois, assignment to the Philippines, and a tour of duty at Fort Winfield Scott.
World War II
From 1941 to 1943, Lawton was Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff of the Army's Hawaiian Department. He was present at the attack on Pearl Harbor and later gave Congressional testimony about his experience and observations.
Post-World War II
Lawton was appointed to command the Korean Communication Zone in 1953, and served in this position until 1954. In this high profile rear echelon command, Lawton took steps to improve the perception of the US military among South Korean civilians by implementing Operation Good Will, a successful effort to generate from members of the US military and American civilians contributions of money and other needed items for orphanages, schools and other institutions.
From 1958 to 1959, he served as President of the Association of Military Comptrollers.
General Lawton retired in 1960.
Awards and decorations
After leaving the Army, Lawton resided in Bethesda, Maryland. He accepted a position as Vice President and Vice Chairman of the Board for Government Loan Services Savings and Loan Association, Inc., where he remained until retiring in the 1980s. In 1989 Lawton moved to the Fairfax retirement community at Fort Belvoir, Virginia, where he died February 26, 1993.
- Biographical Register of the Officers and Graduates of the U.S. Military Academy, by George Washington Cullum and Edward Singleton Holden, published by United States Military Academy Association of Graduates, Volume 9, 1950, p. 379
- World War I draft card, William Stevens Lawton
- Newspaper article, 5 Rogers High School Classes Hold reunions at Homecoming, Newport News, August 26, 1957.
- Annual Report of the School Department of the City of Newport, Rhode Island, published by the department, 1917, p. 37
- The Purple, Green and Gold of Lambda Chi Alpha, published by the Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, 1919, Volume 6, p. 267
- The Journal of the Worcester Polytechnic Institute, published by the institute, Volume 22, 1919, p. 256
- The Cross & Crescent, published by Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, Volume 32, Issue 1, 1945
- Official US Army Register, published by US Army Adjutant General, 1949, p. 312
- Aviation magazine, published by McGraw-Hill Publishing Company, 1923, Volume 15, page 557
- Official US Army Register, published by US Army Adjutant General, 1957, p. 496
- Coast Artillery Journal, published by US Coast Artillery Association, Volume 73, Number 1 (July, 1930), p. 68
- Newspaper article, Army Orders and Assignments, New York Times, March 12, 1938
- Official US Army Register, published by US Army Adjutant General, 1956, p. 491
- Newspaper article, Obituary, William Stevens Lawton, Washington Post, March 2, 1993
- Report, Hearing Testimony, Joint US Congressional Committee on the Investigation of the Pearl Harbor, published by US Government Printing Office, 1946, Parts 22-23, p. 9
- Pearl Harbor: The Seeds and Fruits of Infamy, by Pearcy L. Greaves, Jr., 2010, p. 377
- Pearl Harbor: The Verdict of History, Gordon W. Prange, Donald M. Goldstein and Katherine V. Dillon, 1991, p. 391
- Newspaper article, Lawton is Made a General, New York Times, September 28, 1944
- All About Hawaii: The Recognized Book of Authentic Information on Hawaii, Combined With Thrum's Hawaiian Annual and Standard Guide, published by Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 1945, p.309
- Infantry Journal, published by National Infantry Association, 1947, Volumes 60-61, p. 49
- Magazine article, General Lawton Assumes Command of Seacoast Branch, Coast Artillery Journal, September–October, 1947, p. 56
- Raiders or Elite Infantry? The Changing Role of the U.S. Army Rangers from Dieppe to Grenada, by David W. Hogan, 1992, p. 115
- Ideas, Concepts, Doctrine: Basic Thinking in the United States Air Force, 1907-1960, Robert Frank Futrell, 1989, p. 377
- Truce Tent and Fighting Front, by Walter G. Hermes, published by U.S. Army Office of Military History, Volumes 2-992, p. 364
- From the Danube to the Yalu, Mark Wayne Clark, 1954, p. 133
- Newspaper article, US Houses to be Vacated, Turned Over to Japan Government, Pacific Stars and Stripes, February 2, 1953
- Newspaper article, Gen. Clark Revises Set Up in Far East, New York Times, June 13, 1953.
- Newspaper photo caption, General Greets Aide, Yonkers Herald Statesman, January 28, 1954
- Newspaper article, KcomZ Chief Reassigned to DC Post, Pacific Stars and Stripes, February 13, 1954
- Newspaper article, Gen. Lawton Completes Taipei Trip, Pacific Stars and Stripes, March 15, 1954
- Free China Review, by W.Y. Tsao,1954, Volume 4, p. 67
- Newspaper article, Good Samaritans in Uniform, by Staff Sergeant Bob McNeill, Pacific Stars and Stripes, December 15, 1953
- Report, Hearing Testimony, Defense Appropriations, Supplemental Appropriation Bill for 1956, US Senate Appropriations Committee, published by US Government Printing Office, 1955, p. 1
- Report, Hearing Testimony, Second Supplemental Appropriation Bill for 1956, US Senate Appropriations Committee, published by US Government Printing Office, 1955
- Newspaper article, Newspaper article, Maj. Gen. Lawton up for Promotion, Pacific Stars and Stripes, May 12, 1957
- Newspaper article, Asst. Army Secretary, Army Comptroller Visit, The Redstone Arsenal Rocket, August 20, 1958
- Report, Testimony, Defense Department Budget for 1958, US Senate Committee on Appropriations, published by US Government Printing Office, 1957, p. 713
- The Armed Forces Comptroller, published by the American Society of Military Comptrollers, 1960, Volumes 5-8, page 12
- List of Past Presidents, Armed Forces Comptroller Magazine, January 1, 2008
- The Cross & Crescent, published by Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, Volume 47, Issue 3, 1960
- Official US Army Register, published by US Army Adjutant General, 1954, page 432
- Official US Army Register, published by US Army Adjutant General, 1960, page 622
- List of recipients, Lambda Chi Alpha Order of Achievement, sponsored by the fraternity, accessed December 22, 2010
- DAV magazine, published by Disabled American Veterans, Volume 15, Issues 1-4, 1973, p. 33
- Newspaper article, Gen. William Lawton dies at age 92; was in two wars, ex-Army comptroller, Providence Journal, March 23, 1993
- Social Security Death Index