Willie Smith (golfer)
|— Golfer —|
|Full name||William Smith|
8 October 1876|
|Died||26 December 1916
Mexico City, Mexico
|Best results in major championships
|U.S. Open||Won: 1899|
|The Open Championship||T5: 1910|
1899 U.S. Open
While working as a professional at the Midlothian Country Club, near Chicago he won the fifth staging of the U.S. Open in 1899, which was played at the Baltimore Country Club, Roland Park Course. He won by a margin of eleven shots, which wasn't bettered until Tiger Woods won the 2000 championship by fifteen shots. Smith's prize was $150. He played in nine U.S. Opens in total, and made the top-10 in eight of them, but he did not win again.
Western Open and California State Open
In 1904, Smith moved to Mexico City to become the golf pro at the Mexico City Country Club. He was injured during the Mexican Revolution. He had refused to leave his post at the country club and was found trapped under a fallen beam after Emiliano Zapata's troops ransacked the club which they saw as a symbol of the corrupt ruling class.
|Year||Championship||54 holes||Winning score||Margin||Runners-up|
|1899||U.S. Open||4 shot lead||77-82-79-77=315||11 strokes||Val Fitzjohn, George Low, Bert Way|
|The Open Championship||WD||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||T5|
DNP = Did not play
WD = withdrew
"T" indicates a tie for a place
Green background for wins. Yellow background for top-10
- "Births in the District of St Andrews in the Burgh of Dundee". Statutory Births 282/04 01543. ScotlandsPeople. Retrieved 17 February 2015. (subscription required (. ))
- Brenner, Morgan G. (2009). The Majors of Golf: Complete Results of the Open, the U.S. Open, the PGA Championship and the Masters, 1860-2008. 1. McFarland. ISBN 978-0-7864-3360-5.
- Kelly, Bill. "Kelly's Golf History". kellysgolfhistory.blogspot.com. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Willie Smith is Dead". The New York Times. 27 December 1916.
- "Willie Smith, Golf Pro., Dies in Mexico City". Trenton Evening Times. New Jersey. 27 December 1916.
- "Vardon Was the Winner - Took the Open Golf Championship at Wheaton Yesterday". The Saint Paul Globe. Minnesota. 6 October 1900. Retrieved 9 April 2015 – via Minnesota Historical Society.
- "Open Golf Champion". The Saint Paul Globe. Minnesota. 12 October 1902. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- Article on early Scottish golfers in the U.S. (including the Smith brothers)
|This biographical article relating to golf in Scotland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|