Willie Smith (offensive tackle, born 1986)
|No. 71 Carolina Panthers|
|Date of birth:||November 13, 1986|
|Place of birth:||Smithfield, North Carolina|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||310 lb (141 kg)|
|High school:||Kenly (NC) North Johnston|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2014|
Willie Junior Smith (born November 13, 1986) is an American football offensive tackle for the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League (NFL). He was signed by the Washington Redskins as an undrafted free agent in 2011. He played college football for East Carolina University.
2011 NFL Combine
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 5 in||310 lb||34 1⁄2 in||11 1⁄4 in||5.50 s||1.85 s||3.11 s||4.83 s||7.95 s||30.5 in||8 ft 10 in|
|All values from NFL Combine|
On July 28, 2011, the Washington Redskins signed Smith as an undrafted free agent. Due to the suspension of Trent Williams, he played his first professional game in Week 14 of the 2011 season, rotating the left tackle position with Sean Locklear. In Week 15 against the New York Giants, Smith would start his first game instead of Locklear. He continued to start as the left tackle for the rest of the 2011 season. Smith has received praise for his ability to defend against elite pass rushers Jason Pierre-Paul, Jared Allen, and Trent Cole, despite being a rookie.
During training camp in 2012, Smith split snaps at right tackle with Tyler Polumbus and Maurice Hurt after Jammal Brown was placed on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list. He was released on August 31, 2012 for final cuts before the start of the 2012 season.
San Diego Chargers
Second Stint with Redskins
On August 18, 2016, Smith signed with the Panthers.
- NFL Combine Profile
- NFL Draft Scout
- Fitzgerald, Gary (July 28, 2011). "Redskins Sign Three Undrafted Rookies". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2011-07-28.
- Jones, Mike (December 11, 2011). "Fill-in tackles Willie Smith, Tyler Polumbus impress Coach Mike Shanahan". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2011-12-11.
- "Willie Smith starts for Sean Locklear at LT for Redskins". AOLSportingNews.com. Retrieved 2011-12-18.
- Fitzgerald, Gary (January 17, 2012). "Smith Stepped Up Against Elite Pass Rushers". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- Whyno, Stephen (July 26, 2012). "Redskins place Jammal Brown on PUP list with hip soreness". WashingtonTimes.com. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- Jones, Mike (August 31, 2012). "Redskins' cutdown day begins". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
- Corkran, Steve (September 1, 2012). "Raiders sign offensive tackle". Inside the Oakland Raiders.
- Gehlken, Michael (November 18, 2013). "Chargers sign Willie Smith ex-Raiders Tackle". UTSanDiego.com. Retrieved 2013-11-18.
- Walker, Andrew (June 2, 2015). "Redskins Bring Back Tackle Willie Smith". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- Keim, John (August 31, 2015). "Washington Redskins cut 13 players, including Willie Smith". ESPN.com. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- Henson, Max. "Panthers sign OT Willie Smith". Panthers.com.