Without You (Silverchair song)
|Single by Silverchair|
|from the album Diorama|
|Released||13 May 2002|
|Recorded||Studios 301 and Mangrove Studios, Australia|
|Label||Eleven/Virgin (Australia and South-East Asia)|
|Producer(s)||David Bottrill, Daniel Johns|
|Silverchair singles chronology|
"Without You" is the second single released on 13 May 2002 by Australian rock band Silverchair from their fourth album, Diorama, issued in March that year (see 2002 in music). It was written in Db major by lead singer-guitarist Daniel Johns and was composed during the recording sessions for the band's third album Neon Ballroom (1999) but was not used at that time.
The video is composed of many colourful auroras and seems to be in a space setting. It can be noted that Daniel Johns was sitting in a chair for a few shots. During the period in which this video was shot, John's reactive arthritis was worsening, and he could barely walk let alone play a guitar.
In June 2001, Silverchair entered a studio in Sydney with producer David Bottrill (Tool, Peter Gabriel, King Crimson) to start work on their fourth album, Diorama, which includes the track, "Without You". Lead singer-guitarist Daniel Johns wrote the song and formally assumed the role of a co-producer.
Early in December, the first single, "The Greatest View", was released to Australian radio networks. Early in 2002, Johns was diagnosed with reactive arthritis which made it difficult for him to play the guitar and subsequent performances supporting the album's release were cancelled. In March, Diorama was issued and topped the ARIA Albums Chart – it became their fourth number-one album and spent 50 weeks in the top 50.
"Without You" was released on 13 May 2002, which reached No. 8 on the ARIA Singles Chart. In October, Silverchair were successful at the ARIA Music Awards of 2002, winning five awards including 'Best Rock Album' and 'Best Group', and 'Producer of the Year' for Johns. The band played "The Greatest View" at the ceremony: the song was also nominated for 'Best Video'. Two singles (and a related video) were nominated for further ARIA Awards in 2003.
Australian CD Single (ELEVENCD9)
- "Without You"
|Australian Singles Chart||8|
- "'Without You' at APRA search engine". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- Farinella, David John (1 January 2003). "Silverchair's Diorama album – recording the new Silverchair rock CD". Mix. Penton Media. Archived from the original on 14 October 2011. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- Munro, Kelsey (1 April 2006). "Escape Act". Rolling Stone (Australia). ACP Magazines. Archived from the original on 12 October 2011. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "Dr Kerryn Phelps, Health Editor, with Steve Leibmann, Channel Nine, Today". Australian Medical Association. 6 May 2002. Archived from the original on 12 October 2011. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "Daniel Johns wows fans with buff bod". Nine News. NineMSN (Nine Entertainment Co., Microsoft). 6 August 2007. Archived from the original on 12 October 2011. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- Hung, Steffen. "Silverchair Discography". Australian Charts Portal. Hung Medien. Archived from the original on 13 October 2011. Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- Hung, Steffen. "Silverchair – Diorama". Australian Charts Portal. Hung Medien. Archived from the original on 12 October 2011. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- "Winners by artist: Silverchair". Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA). Archived from the original on 10 February 2009. Retrieved 1 October 2011.
- "Silverchair to Bring Diorama Alive at ARIAs". Silverchair. 12 October 2002. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 16 October 2011.