Wonder Cave (San Marcos, Texas)
Wonder Cave is a show cave located in the Balcones Fault in San Marcos, Texas (at 29°53' N, 97°57' W). Its entrance is one mile southwest of the county courthouse in San Marcos. The cave is reported to be the only commercially operated dry-formed cave in the United States ("dry-formed" because the fissure was opened not by erosion but by the earthquake that produced the Balcones Fault). The fault itself is visible in the cave's ceiling. Originally named Bevers Cave after Mark Bevers, who discovered it in 1893, the cave for a while concealed Bevers' illicit distilling and gambling enterprises.
- Texas State Historical Commission. "Wonder Cave Historical Marker".
- See the Hill Country Inside and Out at Wonder World - Hill Country Sun
- Show Caves of the United States of America: Wonder Cave
- Major Faults of the Edwards Aquifer
- Texas Speleological Survey - Wonder Cave
- Wonder World Park
|This article about a location in Hays County, Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|