World Whisky Day
|World Whisky Day|
|Date(s)||Third Saturday in May|
|Organised by||Hot Rum Cow|
|Website||World Whisky Day|
World Whisky Day was founded in 2012 and falls on the third Saturday of May each year.
It is now owned by White Light Media, Edinburgh and in 2017 employed two official whisky ambassadors - Aly Mathers and Joe Kent - who will be championing all things whisky in the run up to #WorldWhiskyDay on 20 May. They be appear in videos, present talks and host tastings, sharing their passion for whisky across the globe.
Participants are encouraged to drink whisky on the day at events which may be officially registered on the World Whisky Day website. Others participate via social media using the #worldwhiskyday hashtag.
The organisers estimate that approximately 250,000 people participated in registered events during the 2014 World Whisky Day.
In 2015, World Whisky Day events were registered on all seven continents.
Recognition by the Scottish Parliament
- "When is WWD". worldwhiskyday.com.
- "World Whisky Day launched by Aberdeen student Blair Bowman". BBC News.
- "Whisky Day to be held yearly". Herald Scotland.
- "The first ever World Whisky Day takes place this week, brainchild not of a big nose in the industry but a 21-year-old student". scotsman.com.
- "Tweets about #worldwhiskyday hashtag on Twitter". twitter.com.
- "World Whisky Day 'set to attract 200,000 people'". BBC News.
- McKay, Fiona. "Whisky celebration day toasted with ice... in Antarctica". Herald Scotland. Herald & Times Group. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- "Six figure deal for Scots World Whisky Day creator". scotsman.com.
- "Hot Rum Cow Takes the Helm at World Whisky Day". whiskyintelligence.com.
- "Motions and amendments". Scottish Parliament. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Motion S4M-12302: Kevin Stewart". Scottish Parliament. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Advanced Search - Master of Malt". masterofmalt.com.
- "World Whisky Day raises a 'wee dram' for Just a Drop". justadrop.org.