|Released||August 12, 2014|
|Sam Hunt chronology|
X2C (pronounced "ex to see") is the debut extended play (EP) by American singer Sam Hunt, released on August 8, 2014, by MCA Nashville. Featuring his debut single, "Leave the Night On", and three other songs recorded for the album, the EP served as a preview for Hunt's then-forthcoming debut studio album Montevallo (2014). It debuted in the top five of the Billboard Top Country Albums chart and the top 40 of the all-genre US Billboard 200. The album's title is derived from the title of the track "Ex to See" and is a play on the homophone "ecstasy".
|1.||"Leave the Night On"||3:11|
|2.||"Ex to See"||3:18|
|4.||"Break Up in a Small Town"||3:49|
Critical and commercial reception
Alanna Conaway of Country Weekly gave the EP a highly positive A+ review, praising Hunt as both songwriter and vocalist. "The layers of detail in each song on X2C shows the brilliance in the minds of Sam and his producers," writes Conaway, "putting him on the cutting edge of the next wave of what’s to come." Jon Caramanica of The New York Times was somewhat more critical, highlighting the lack of country influences while also comparing Hunt to Drake. He described the record as "stylistically provocative" and a "fascinating, odd [...] tug of war between muscle and heart."
X2C debuted at number five on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart, the highest debut of the week on that chart, for the week of August 17, 2014. It also debuted at number 36 on the US Billboard 200 that same week. The album sold 8,000 units in its first week of release. As of February 2015, the EP has sold 31,000 units. All four tracks charted in the top 40 of the Hot Country Songs chart due to substantial digital downloads.
|US Billboard 200||36|
|US Top Country Albums (Billboard)||5|
- "X2C - EP by Sam Hunt". iTunes Store (CA). Apple Inc. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- Betts, Stephen L. (31 July 2014). "Sam Hunt to Drop 'X2C' Before Debut Album's Release". Rolling Stone / RS Country. Wenner Media. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- Jessen, Wade (21 August 2014). "Sam Hunt Scores Highest Debut on Top Country Albums With 'X2C'". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- Leight, Elias (30 October 2014). "Album Review: Country Singer Sam Hunt Already Sounds Post-Country on His Debut Album". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- Conaway, Alanna (20 August 2014). "X2C by Sam Hunt". Country Weekly. American Media, Inc. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- Caramanica, Jon; Chinen, Nate (18 August 2014). "Chase Rice, Sam Hunt and Dr. John Release New Albums". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- Jessen, Wade (February 5, 2015). "Sam Hunt Leads Top Country Albums, Carrie Underwood's 'Guns' Loaded on Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- "Sam Hunt Chart History (Billboard 200)". Billboard. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "Sam Hunt Chart History (Top Country Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved 22 April 2015.