|Platform(s)||Linux, macOS, Microsoft Windows|
|Release||15 November 2013|
|Genre(s)||Space trading and combat simulator|
X Rebirth is a single-player space trading and combat game developed by Egosoft, published by Deep Silver (Europe) and Tri Synergy (America). It is the sixth installment in the X universe adventure video game series, following X3: Albion Prelude (2012), as the new sequel to the last game title. The game runs on Linux, macOS and Microsoft Windows. Egosoft Director Bernd Lehahn has stated that X Rebirth will not be available on consoles.
X Rebirth incorporates open-ended (or "sandbox") gameplay. As with previous installments in the series the game will take place in a universe that is active even when the player is not present, involving simulated trade, combat, piracy, and other features. The player as an individual may take part in these or other actions to gain notoriety or wealth, going so far as to be able to construct their own space installations and command fleets of starships, establishing what amounts to their own personal empire and dynamically and drastically altering the game world in the process.
Prior to launch, the developers announced that X Rebirth would feature a new interface design, intended to reduce the initial complexity for new players. However, they asserted that the game mechanics would remain comparable in complexity to those found in previous X series titles. However, after release, many people attacked a lot of the design decisions made by Egosoft, and a number of customers requested refunds.
Its story shows a more focused effort on specific characters than Egosoft's previous 'X' effort;
|“||"In the distant future, the X universe faces a period of profound and irrevocable change. While the universe stumbles towards an uncertain future, countless adventures await as new enemies rise in search of power. Enter a young adventurer and his unlikely female ally traveling in an old, battered ship with a glorious past - two people alone against the galaxy, playing a key part in the events to come."||”|
The game has been received negatively by critics, holding the score of 33/100 on Metacritic, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews."
As of 23 March 2014, X Rebirth has received 25 patches since release, however the game is widely regarded as being a disappointment following from previous successes in the series.  On 21 April 2014, X Rebirth 2.0 became available, delivering a number of patch fixes and gameplay improvements.
Egosoft released the first downloadable content (DLC) for X Rebirth on December 11, 2014 entitled The Teladi Outpost including a host of fixes and improvements to the base game. This update, delivered exclusively for the 64 bit platform, brought the release to version 3.0. The Teladi Outpost DLC features a new system containing two sectors. On the days surrounding and during the weeks following the update, Egosoft delivered a number of video tutorials to YouTube covering many common facets of gameplay.
- Fletcher, J. C. (2011-04-22). "Egosoft's X Rebirth brings the space exploration series back to life". AOL Inc. Joystiq. Retrieved 2011-06-02.
- Egosoft MD Showcases X Rebirth at FedCon XX
- Waver, Lloyd (2011-04-30). "Egosoft: The Next Big Thing". WordPress. Polychromium. Archived from the original on 24 August 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-02.
- Walker, John (2011-04-20). "Born Again – X: Rebirth Announced". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 2011-06-02.
- "X Rebirth General Discussions :: Steam Community". steamcommunity.com.
- "egosoft.com :: View Forum - X Rebirth Universe". egosoft.com.
- "Egosoft Forum: Linux Alpha support thread". Egosoft. Retrieved 2015-05-04.
- de Matos, Xav (2011-04-20). "X Rebirth continues the longstanding Egosoft-developed space series later this year". GameFly Media. Shacknews. Retrieved 2011-06-02.
- Cox, Austin (2011-04-20). "X Universe Reborn on the PC with Announcement of X Rebirth". Gameplay Today. Retrieved 2011-06-02.
- "X Rebirth for PC Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. 5 December 2013. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- Kevin VanOrd (20 December 2013). "X Rebirth Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
- Rob Zacny (20 November 2013). "X Rebirth Review - IGN". IGN. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Dominic Tarason (20 November 2013). "X Rebirth Review: Sucking Vacuum | GameFront". GameFront. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Von Rüdiger Steidle (23 December 2014). "X: Rebirth 3.0 Test | GameStar". GameStar. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- Stefan Weiß (19 November 2013). "X Rebirth im Test: Massive Bugs und Designmängel trotz Patches | PC Games". PC Games. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "X Rebirth 3.0 and free Teladi Outpost DLC are now on Steam". PC Gamer. 11 December 2014. Retrieved 24 December 2014.