1.4.0 / June 25, 2016
|Type||Search and index API.|
|License||GNU General Public License|
It is written in C++, with bindings to allow use from Perl, Python, PHP, Java, Tcl, C#, Ruby, and Lua. Xapian is highly portable and runs on Linux, OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, HP-UX, Tru64, IRIX, Windows, Hurd, and OS/2.
Xapian is designed to be a highly adaptable toolkit to allow developers to easily add advanced indexing and search facilities to their own applications.
- Transactions: if database update fails in the middle of a transaction, the database is guaranteed to remain in a consistent state.
- Simultaneous search and update, with new documents being immediately visible.
- Support for large databases: Xapian has been proven to scale to hundreds of millions of documents.
- Accurate probabilistic ranking: more relevant documents are listed first.
- Phrase and proximity searching.
- Relevance feedback, which improves ranking and can expand a query, find related documents, categorise documents etc.
- Structured Boolean queries, e.g. "race AND condition NOT horse"
- Wildcard search, e.g. "wiki*"
- Spelling correction
- Omega, a packaged solution for adding a search engine to a web site or intranet. Omega can easily be extended and adapted to fit changing requirements.