Grimble with the San Francisco 49ers
|No. 85 – Pittsburgh Steelers|
September 22, 1992 |
Las Vegas, Nevada
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||257 lb (117 kg)|
|High school:||Las Vegas (NV) Gorman|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 12, 2017|
Grimble attended Bishop Gorman High School in Summerlin, Nevada. Named an USA Today All-American as a senior in 2009, he had 39 catches for 709 yards (18.2 avg.) with 9 touchdowns, helping Bishop Gorman to a 15–0 record and victory in the state 4A title game. As a junior in 2008, he had 13 receptions for 310 yards (23.8 avg.) with 4 touchdowns. He was selected to play in the 2010 Under Armour All-America Game in St. Petersburg, Florida.
After redshirting as a true freshman in 2010, Grimble started seven games in 2011, recording 15 catches for 144 yards (9.6 avg.) with 4 TDs. In 2012, Grimble shared starts with fellow tight end Randall Telfer. He started in nine games, appearing in all 12, recording 29 catches for 316 yards (10.9 avg.) with 5 TDs, and was named an honorable mention All-Pac-12. In 2013, he caught 25 passes for 271 yards and 2 TDs, and was named an All-Pac-12 selection for the second consecutive season.
Coming out of USC, analysts projected Grimble to be a seventh round selection or priority undrafted free agent. He was ranked as the 17th best out of the 95 tight ends available by NFLDraftScout.com. Most analysts gave him positive reviews for his good hands, good frame, and ability to maintain possession while taking shots down the middle of the field.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40‑yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20‑ss||3‑cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 4 1⁄2 in
|33 1⁄8 in
|10 1⁄4 in
|4.90 s||1.70 s||2.85 s||4.79 s||7.41 s||30 1⁄2 in
|9 ft 2 in
|All values from USC's Pro Day|
New York Giants
Grimble went undrafted in the 2014 NFL Draft and was signed the day after the draft by the New York Giants. He entered training camp competing with Adrien Robinson, Larry Donnell, Daniel Fells, and Kellen Davis for the vacant starting tight end Position.left by the departures of Brandon Myers and Bear Pascoe. On August 24, 2014, the New York Giants waived Grimble.
San Francisco 49ers
On September 16, 2014, the San Francisco 49ers signed Grimble to their practice squad.
On December 16, 2014, Grimble was resigned to the San Francisco 49er's practice squad. On December 31, 2014, the San Francisco 49ers signed Grimble to a two-year, $960,000 reserve/future contract
New England Patriots
San Francisco 49ers (second stint)
On September 15, 2015, Grimble was signed onto the San Francisco 49ers practice squad. On November 18, he was waived by San Francisco. On September 5, 2016, he was released by the San Francisco 49ers during final roster cuts.
He entered the Pittsburgh Steeler's training camp competing for the backup tight end position with David Johnson and Paul Lang. Grimble was named the Steeler's third tight end on their depth chart to begin the season, behind veterans Jesse James and David Johnson.
He made his professional regular season debut in the Pittsburgh Steeler's season-opening 38-16 victory over the Washington Redskins. The following game, he made his first career catch and caught his first career touchdown reception on a 20-yard pass from Ben Roethlisberger. In Week 3, he earned his first official career start during a 3-34 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. He finished the 24-16 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals with two catches for 26 receiving yards and a touchdown. On December 25, 2016, Grimble caught his first career touchdown on a twenty-yard pass from Ben Roethlisberger on the opening drive of a 31-27 last minute comeback victory over the Baltimore Ravens.
On February 8, 2017, Grimble signed a one-year deal to remain with the Steelers. Throughout training camp, Grimble competed with David Johnson and rookie Jake McGee for the backup tight end position. Although he showed more capability then both players, the Pittsburgh Steelers traded for his former San Francisco 49er's teammate Vance McDonald, making him the third tight end on their depth chart to begin the regular season.
Grimble's cousin, Jalen Grimble, played defensive tackle at Oregon State and his other cousin, Barkevious Mingo, is an NFL linebacker that currently plays for the Indianapolis Colts. During high school at Bishop Gorman, Grimble played with many talented football players including Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle Ronnie Stanley, Duke running back Shaq Powell, and Arizona quarterback Anu Solomon.
- Xavier Grimble – Yahoo Sports
- Gorman tight end Grimble commits to play for USC
- Tight end Xavier Grimble will enter NFL draft
- "*Xavier Grumble, DS #17 TE, USC: 2014 NFL Draft". Nfldraftscout.com. Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- "Ourlads.com: New York Giant's depth chart: 08/01/2014". Ourlads.com. Retrieved October 9, 2017.
- Giants announce roster cuts; 75-man roster set
- "Ex-Giants news: Xavier Grimble lands with 49ers; Ahmad Bradshaw stars in Monday Night Football". nj.com. Retrieved October 9, 2017.
- "New England Patriots: Player Bio-Xavier Grimble". patriots.com. Retrieved October 9, 2017.
- David Lucille's (December 16, 2014). "49ers sign Desmond Bishop, sign Xavier Grimble to practice squad, place Kassim Osgood on injured reserve". ninersnation.com. Retrieved October 9, 2017.
- "Spotrac.com: Xavier Grimble contract". spotrac.com. Retrieved October 9, 2017.
- Patriots sign TE Xavier Grimble and LS Charley Hughlett to practice squad
- "Sportrac.com: Xavier Grimble contract". sportrac.com. Retrieved December 30, 2016.
- "NFL Transactions: Monday 1/18 - NFL Trade Rumors -". NFL Trade Rumors -. NFL Trade Rumors. Retrieved 2016-01-20.
- "Ourlads.com: Pittsburgh Steeler's Depth Chart". ourlads.com. Retrieved December 30, 2016.
- "NFL Player Profile: Xavier Grumble". NFL.com. Retrieved December 30, 2016.
- Gantt, Darin (February 8, 2017). "Steelers bring back tight end Xavier Grimble". ProFootballTalk.NBCSports.com.
- "NFL Draft Profile: Xavier Grimble". NFL.com. Retrieved December 8, 2016.