This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Rev. Fr. Dr. Xavier Koodapuzha Professor Emeritus of Paurastya Vidhya Peedam was born on 28 February 1934 at Chenapady, Kanjirappally. His parents are Mr.Joseph Chacko and Annamma Koodapuzha. After completing his primary schooling, he had his University studies at the St. Berchmans College, Changanacherry.He joined Parel St.Thomas Seminary in the year 1951 and Priestly studies at the Propaganda Fide College, Rome and received a Doctorate in Theology and Master’s Degree in Philosophy from the Urban University, Rome and Master’s Degrees in Oriental sciences and Oriental Canon Law from the Pontifical Oriental Institute, Rome. He is a church historian and a scholar. He has given considerable contribution to Catholic Church.
Now he is leading a monastic life in Mar Thoma Sleeha Dehra which is situated in the western flank of the Sahya Hills about 3000 ft above the sea level over looking the Arabian Sea.
He has served as the
- Asst Parish Priest: St Mary’s Cathedral, Changanacherry
- Parish Priest: St Dominic’s Cathedral, Kanjirapally
- Manager: St Dominic’s College and H S School, Kanjirapally
- Principal of Missionary Orientation Centre, Manganam
- Vice President, Paurastya Vidyapitham, Vadavathoor
- Dean of Studies St Thomas Apost. Seminary, Vadavathoor
- President of Eastern Theological Association of India
- Manager of St Dominic’s College, Kanjirapally
- Secretary & Treasurer of Peerumedu Development Society
- Missionary Orientation Centre at Kottayam
- Oriental Institute of India Publications (OIRSI) and was its Director from the beginning in 1977 up to 1999.
- Mar Thoma Sleeha Monastery for Men at Nallathanny, the first of its kind in the Syro-Malabar Church.
- Founder and Managing Editor: Liturgical Monthly "Dukrana"
- Founder and Section Editor of Christian Orient
- Section Editor of Christian Orient and Jeevadhara.
- Priest Advisor of CRI (Women) Conference of the Religious of India, Kottayam Reg.
- Member of the Roman International Commission of dialogue between the Roman Catholic Church and the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Churches in India
- Member of the Roman International Commission of dialogue between the Roman Catholic Church and the Malankara Syrian Jacobite Churches in India
Professor at Paurastya Vidyapitham for 35 years
He has been Professor of Theology, Oriental Sciences, History and Ecclesiology at the Pontifical Oriental Institute, Kottayam
At the theological Faculties of Poona (JDV), Delhi (Vidyajyoti), Bangalore (Redemptorists) and Alwaye (St Joseph’s Pont. Institute).
He has been a Catholic delegate of the two Roman Ecumenical Commissions for Dialogue with the Orthodox Churches in India. He has published seventeen books in English and Malayalam and has received for Awards for his outstanding contribution in the field of History and Theology.
Papers at the International Conferences
- International Conference of Canonists Boston USA
- International Conference of Catholic and Orthodox Churches, Vienna, Austria
- International Conference at Chicago, USA
Some of his most Famous Works Published
(1).Faith and Communion of the Indian Church of Thomas Christians (2).Oriental Churches: An Introduction (3).Christianity in India (4).Communion of Churches (ed) (5).Eastern Theological Reflections (ed) (6).Papers and Joint Statements of the Joint International Commission for Dialogue Between the Catholic Church and the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church (ed) (7).Canonical Sources of the Syro-Malabar Churches, Placid J. Podipara, (ed) (8).Oriental Churches: Theological Dimensions (ed.) (9).Ecclesial Identity of the Thomas Christians (Joint ed) (10).Indian Church History (Malayalam) (11).History of the Catholic Church (Malayalam) (12).Sabhavijnaniyam (Malayalam)
Winner of Awards
- AKCC AWARD for the best book on History of the Church
- CANA AWARD for the best book on the History of Christianity in India
- MARTHOMA PURASKARAM for the contribution for the promotion of the heritage of the St Thomas Christians
- ARANCHERRY AWARD for the contribution in the study of the traditions of the St.Thomas Christians