17 September 1980
|Residence||Cambridge, MA, USA|
|Alma mater||University of Brasília, Fundação Getúlio Vargas|
|Known for||Open Data|
|Awards||Vladimir Herzog Award (twice)|
|Fields||Open Data, Open Standards, Privacy|
|Institutions||Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University and Harvard Kennedy School|
Yasodara Córdova (born 1980), also known as Yaso, is an activist, coder, designer and researcher. Her work has focused on technologies to improve the democratic process, using open data, online identity, and privacy approaches. She is currently a research fellow at the Digital Harvard Kennedy School, and affiliate to the Berkman Klein Center at Harvard. She has been part of several Ministries in Brazil, the United Nations and the W3C. As an activist, she is co-founder and advisor of multiple initiatives around Internet hacktivism.
Córdova studied Industrial Design at the Federal University of Brasilia and completed an MBA at the Fundação Getúlio Vargas. She is a self taught developer. Since 2006, she worked in the Brazilian public news agency Agência Brasil, first as datavis designer and developer, later as product and then project manager. Her team managed to make the agency a reference for new ways of information interaction, using hypervideo tutorials, newsgames and citizen journalism. Her team won two consecutive times the Vladimir Herzog Award, for human rights and Journalism in Brazil, in the categories Internet (webdocumentary "Nação Palmares") and Cultural Illiteracy (series of articles "O Analfabetismo, a exclusão pelas letras"). She also participated in three other works ("Terra Invadida", "Terra Dividida", "Usinas do Rio Madeira: problema ou solução") that were finalists in the Caixa award of social journalism editions of 2007 and 2008.
In the subsequent period, from a position in the United Nations' UNESCO, Córdova developed and pushed forward several public participation processes within several Ministries in the Brazil Government led by the Workers' Party. In the Secretariat of Digital Culture at the Ministry of Culture, she developed software for the public consultations of the Brazilian Civil Rights Framework for the Internet and for The Copyright Law reform. At the same Secretariat whe worked on projects for multimedia access and archiving, using technologies for decentralization.. This work was presented at the International Symposium of Public Policies for Digital Collections. Afterwards, under the Secretariat for Legislative Affairs of the Ministry of Justice she developed the public participation platform for the Ministry. This work led her to join the Youth National Secretariat of the Presidency of the Republic, where she expanded her work on public participation delivering the specifications of the Participatory Observatory for Youth, which once implemented received the prize A Rede.
From 2012 to 2016 Córdova joined the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) as project leader, participating in the Web Payments Task Force and being Co-Chair of the Working Group on Best Practices for Data on the Web, which produced the W3C Recommendation "Data on the Web Best Practices", the "W3C Data Quality Vocabulary" and the "W3C Dataset Usage Vocabulary" under her guidance. During this time, she also led the development of the Open Data for Development Network platform or the W3C Brazil project of Artificial Intelligence applied to participatory processes. She translated the "Architecture of the World Wide Web, volume 1" to Brazilian Portuguese.
In 2016, Córdova was appointed fellow of the Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society (Harvard University), where she has been doing research around open data, online identity and algorithmic governance, with an IEEE publication and co-organizing the workshop "Algorithms, Law and Society: Building Rights for a Digital Era". She has also continued her work on open data standards as part of the Beneficial Ownership Data Standard by the Web Foundation. In 2017, she was appointed fellow as part of the first promotion of fellows in the Digital HKS at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
Her early activist engagement was pushing forward several hacktivist initiatives. She was the co-founder of the Calango Hackerspace, the second in Brazil and first to have a woman as co-founder. She has been engaged with Metareciclagem, an activist network around DIY and sustainability, in the frame of which she co-organized the First International Conference on Collaborative Environmental Management or the Tropixel Festival.
She was a member of the advisory board of the Open Knowledge Foundation (Brazil chapter) until March 2017 and currently sits on the Advisory Board of the Coding Rights think tank, part of the Privacy International Network. Within Coding Rights, she is the author of a series on Online Identity, and she contributed to the "Sexy nudes: a sexy guide to digital security". Coding Rights won the FRIDA prize on Digital Innovation in LatAm in 2017.
She is former director and current advisor of the initiative Serenata de Amor, which uses machine learning and open data to facilitate social control of the public representatives. Yasodara was invited to present the anti-corruption project's progress in the Brazilian Congress in 2017.
- World Wide Web Consortium
- Brazilian Civil Rights Framework for the Internet
- Open Knowledge Foundation
- Vladimir Herzog Award
- "digital HKS Fellows". Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- "Berkman Klein Center Announces 2017-2018 Community | Berkman Klein Center". cyber.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "11º EWD/DF – Pós operatório | Rafael Dohms". blog.doh.ms (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2017-09-16.
- "Bon Bagay Haiti: making of da reportagem". blog ׀ Aloisio Milani (in Portuguese). 2007-10-17. Retrieved 2017-09-16.
- "FNDC - Agência Brasil recebe Prêmio Vladimir Herzog por produção multimídia". FNDC. Retrieved 2017-09-16.
- "Premiados -30º Vladimir Herzog e 4º Novos Talentos". jornalistasp.org.br (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2017-09-10.
- "Reportagem sobre analfabetismo ganha prêmio Vladimir Herzog". BOL. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "Agência Brasil é finalista do Prêmio Caixa de Jornalismo". www.dci.com.br (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2017-09-16.
- "Yasodara Córdova". Ciberpesquisa (in Portuguese). 2017-04-19. Retrieved 2017-09-16.
- Rohter, Larry (2007-03-12). "Gilberto Gil and the politics of music". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- O'Maley, Daniel Patrick (2015). Networking democracy: Brazilian internet freedom activism and the influence of participatory democracy (PDF) (PhD Thesis). Nashville, Tennessee: Vanderbilt University. pp. 60–61.
- "Consulta Direito Autoral". www2.cultura.gov.br (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- "Participatório - Participatorio da Juventude". juventude.gov.br (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- Córdova, Yasodara. "Participatório: O observatório participativo da juventude - parte III".
- "Participatório recebe o prêmio A Rede 2014 - Participatorio da Juventude". juventude.gov.br (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "Data on the Web Best Practices". www.w3.org. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- Burle, Caroline (January 23, 2014). "Data on the Web Best Practices Working Group (DW WG)". W3C. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- "Data on the Web Best Practices". www.w3.org. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "Data on the Web Best Practices: Data Quality Vocabulary". www.w3.org. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "Data on the Web Best Practices: Dataset Usage Vocabulary". www.w3.org. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "Industry: Analysis and Discovering | ISWC 2015". iswc2015.semanticweb.org. Retrieved 2017-09-16.
- "Plataforma Semântica OD4D". labweb.herokuapp.com (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2017-09-16.
- AI-Social: Inteligência Analítica Aplicada ao Processo de Participação Social, CeWeb/W3CBrasil, 2017-08-18, retrieved 2017-09-16
- Almeida, Virgilio A. F.; Doneda, Danilo; Córdova, Yasodara; undefined; undefined; undefined; undefined (2016). "Whither Social Media Governance?". IEEE Internet Computing. 20 (2). pp. 82–84. ISSN 1089-7801. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "Algorithms, Law and Society: Building Rights for a Digital Era | Berkman Klein Center". cyber.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "Governance — Beneficial Ownership Data Standard (beta) 0.1 documentation". beneficial-ownership-data-standard.readthedocs.io. Retrieved 2017-09-10.
- "Calango hacker clube - HackerspaceWiki". wiki.hackerspaces.org. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "membros:yasodara [Calango Hacker Clube]". calango.club (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "Anti-disciplinary collaboration". SEAD: White Papers. 2012-08-29. Retrieved 2017-09-16.
- "I Conferência Internacional em Gestão Ambiental Colaborativa | ::Hipermedula.org". hipermedula.org (in Spanish). Retrieved 2017-09-16.
- "Who | Tropixel". tropixel.ubalab.org. Retrieved 2017-09-16.
- "Conselhos – Open Knowledge Brasil". br.okfn.org (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "Who – CODING RIGHTS". www.codingrights.org. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "Identidade e Internet – Medium". Medium. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "Sexy Guide to Digital Security – CODING RIGHTS". www.codingrights.org. Retrieved 2017-09-16.
- "2017 FRIDA Winners Announced – Programa FRIDA". programafrida.net. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "Data Science Brigade". datasciencebr.com. Retrieved 2017-09-10.
- "Operação Serenata de Amor". serenatadeamor.org. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "Open Knowledge Brasil apoia a Operação Serenata de Amor – Open Knowledge Brasil". br.okfn.org (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "Câmara dos Deputados - Comissões". www.camara.leg.br (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2017-09-10.
- "Controle de contas públicas com uso de dados abertos é tema de debate em comissão - Câmara Notícias - Portal da Câmara dos Deputados". www2.camara.leg.br (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- "FISCALIZAÇÃO FINANCEIRA E CONTROLE". Audiências Interativas. Retrieved 2017-09-08.