|Single by Kelsea Ballerini|
|from the album The First Time|
|Released||October 10, 2016|
|Kelsea Ballerini singles chronology|
"Yeah Boy" is a song co-written and recorded by American country pop singer Kelsea Ballerini for her debut studio album, The First Time (2015). Ballerini co-wrote the song with Forest Glen Whitehead and Keesy Timmer. It was released to American country radio on October 10, 2016 as the album's fourth and final single. The song garnered a positive reception from critics praising its upbeat nature and Ballerini's bubbly charm for being a return to her first two singles.
"Yeah Boy" peaked at numbers three and nine on both the Billboard Country Airplay and Hot Country Songs charts respectively, making it Ballerini's first single of her career to miss number one. It also reached number 65 on the US Billboard Hot 100. It was certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), and has sold 195,000 copies in the United States as of May 2017. The song also charted in Canada, reaching number two on the Canada Country chart. The accompanying music video for the song was directed by Kristin Barlowe, taking inspiration from the 1990s with Ballerini sporting a colorful bodysuit and accompanied by female backup dancers, while in front of a neon backdrop and a graffiti brick wall.
Billy Dukes of Taste of Country gave the song a positive review in which he wrote that, while the song "revisits" the themes and production elements of her first two singles, it is still "a fun, flirty, contagious young love song that you’ll sing along with, but likely set aside when a new single... comes along." Carrie Horton of sister site, The Boot, similarly noted that the song "[brings] the record’s run of singles full circle," while praising its youthful appeal. Kelly Brickey of Sounds Like Nashville praised the choice for putting Ballerini back in "her pop-country groove" after the more mature "Peter Pan", and wrote that "this song solidifies her innocent sass and makes for an irresistible tune." Markos Papadatos of Digital Journal gave the song an A rating, writing that "Yeah Boy" is "extremely radio-friendly, and it showcases her bubbly personality."
"Yeah Boy" debuted at number 56 on the Billboard Country Airplay chart for the week of October 22, 2016. It also debuted at number 38 on the US Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of November 5, 2016. It also debuted at number 32 on the Canada Country chart for the week of January 24, 2017. "Yeah Boy" has since become Ballerini's highest-charting country music single in Canada, reaching number two on the chart in April 2017. It also debuted at number 18 on the US Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart for the week of January 24, 2017. It also debuted at number 91 on the US Billboard Hot 100 for the week of March 27, 2017. The song has sold 195,000 copies in the US as of May 2017. "Yeah Boy" peaked at #3 on the Country Airplay chart, got beat by Sam Hunt's 3-week number one single, "Body Like a Back Road".
A lyric video for "Yeah Boy" was uploaded to Ballerini's Vevo channel on December 12, 2014 in support of her self-titled EP. The official music video premiered on December 16, 2016 and was directed by Kristin Barlowe (who had directed the videos for "Love Me Like You Mean It" and "Peter Pan"). Described as an ode to the 1990s, Ballerini is shown performing the song in a colorful bodysuit in front of a neon backdrop and a brick wall spray-painted with graffiti, with female backup dancers.
Charts and certifications
- Rolling Stone (September 15, 2016). "Kelsea Ballerini on 'Yeah Boy' and Secret New Duet: The Ram Report". Rolling Stone. Wenner Media. Retrieved October 13, 2016.
- "Future Release for Country Radio Stations". All Access Media Group. Archived from the original on September 14, 2016. Retrieved October 4, 2016.
- Dukes, Billy (September 21, 2016). "Kelsea Ballerini, 'Yeah Boy' [Listen]". Taste of Country. Townsquare Media. Retrieved October 13, 2016.
- Horton, Carrie (September 21, 2016). "Kelsea Ballerini Releases 'Yeah Boy' as Next Single [LISTEN]". The Boot. Townsquare Media. Retrieved October 13, 2016.
- Brickey, Kelly (September 24, 2016). "Listen to Kelsea Ballerini's New Single, 'Yeah Boy'". Sounds Like Nashville. Spin Media. Retrieved October 13, 2016.
- Papadatos, Markos (October 12, 2016). "Review: Kelsea Ballerini uplifting on new country single 'Yeah Boy'". Digital Journal. Postmedia Network. Retrieved October 13, 2016.
- ""Yeah Boy" on Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 13, 2016.
- "Kelsea Ballerini Chart History (Canada Country)". Billboard. Retrieved April 4, 2017.
- Bjorke, Matt (May 2, 2017). "Country's Top 30 Digital Singles Sales Chart: May 1, 2017". Roughstock.
- KelseaBalleriniVEVO (December 12, 2014). "Kelsea Ballerini – Yeah Boy (Lyric Video)" (video). YouTube. Google. Retrieved October 13, 2016.
- Brittney McKenna (December 19, 2016). "Watch Kelsea Ballerini's Colorful 'Yeah Boy' Video" (video). Rolling Stone. Wenner Media. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- "Kelsea Ballerini Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved May 9, 2017.
- "Kelsea Ballerini Chart History (Country Airplay)". Billboard. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- "Kelsea Ballerini Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved May 9, 2017.
- "Billboard Canada Year-End Country Airplay of 2017". Billboard. Retrieved December 31, 2017.
- "Country Airplay Songs – Year-End 2017". Billboard. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- "Hot Country Songs – Year-End 2017". Billboard. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- "American single certifications – Kelsea Ballerini – Yeah Boy". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.