Yonnhy Pérez vs. Joseph Agbeko II
|Date||December 11, 2010|
|Venue||Emerald Queen Casino, Tacoma, Washington, United States|
|Title(s) on the line||IBF Bantamweight Title.|
|Tale of the tape|
|Agbeko defeats Perez via unanimous decision|
Four of the world’s most talented bantamweights will participate in The Bantamweight Tournament: Winner Takes All. It is a two-stage, single-elimination tournament of 118-pounders – which begins with two Semifinal bouts on Saturday, Dec. 11, in the Battle at the Boat series from the Emerald Queen Casino in Tacoma, Wash.
In the opening bout, undefeated, world-ranked rising star Abner Mares of Guadalajara Jalisco, Mexico, will face two-division world champion Vic Darchinyan of Sydney, Australia, by way of Armenia. In the main event, Perez and Agbeko will square off against each other for the second time. They had fought a Fight of the Year candidate last October, and the bantamweight standouts will likely repeat their scintillating performance when they meet.
Rather than an immediate rematch with Perez and Mares, Perez will be facing Joseph Agbeko for the second time in the first round for his IBF, which he won from him, in Showtime's upcoming bantamweight tournament while Mares faces Vic Darchinyan. The winners of both fights will face each other sometime in early 2011.
They are barely unknown outside of boxing circles, fighting in a 118-pound division that rarely gets any attention. But they've all signed on for a single-elimination tournament in hopes of not only making a name for themselves, but also providing boxing fans with some exciting fights. The tournament originally was scheduled for Leon, Mexico, but Showtime did a site survey and realized that the cost for staging the event there - including security in a region that has been besieged by violence among the drug cartels - would be prohibitive. When no venue could be secured in Los Angeles, the event was moved to Tacoma, Wash. Perez is the only current champion, [Vic Darchinyan IBO champion] while Agbeko have held world titles and Mares is a top contender. They have a combined record of 102-4-3 with 76 knockouts.
- Bantamweight bout: Yohnny Perez (c) vs. Joseph Agbeko
- Agbeko defeats Perez via unanimous decision.
- Bantamweight bout: Vic Darchinyan (c) vs. Abner Mares
- Mares defeats Darchinyan via split decision.
- Super Flyweight bout: Cesar Seda vs. Ernie Marquez
- Seda defeats Marquez via TKO in round 1.
- Super Bantamweight bout: Chris Avalos vs. Cecilio Santos
- Avalos defeats Santos via RTD at 0:01 of round 4.
- "SHOWTIME SPORTS BANTAMWEIGHT TOURNAMENT". GoldenBoyPromotions. 2010-12-07. http://www.goldenboypromotions.com/news/showtime-sports-bantamweight-tournment-to-be-held-at-emerald-queen-casino-in-tacoma-wash.
- "Perez-Agbeko II: The Rematch". RingTV. 2010-12-10. http://www.ringtv.com/blog/2591/perezagbeko_ii_the_rematch_fans_should_be_talking_about_but_arent/accessdate = 2010-12-10.
- Blake, Brian O. (October 4, 2010). "Showtime Holds Press Conference For Upcoming Bantamweight Tournament". SportsBettingWorld. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
- Connor, Patrick (December 7, 2010). "Showtime Bantamweight Tournament: Vic Darchinyan vs Abner Mares Preview". BoxingBulletin. Retrieved December 7, 2010.