You Have to Burn the Rope
|You Have to Burn the Rope|
You Have to Burn the Rope is a platform game in which the player must guide a character through a short level through which text on how to beat the game is clearly visible. At the end of the level, the player has a boss fight against the "Grinning Colossus". To beat the boss, the player must jump to one of the torches on the wall and use it to burn the rope attaching a chandelier to the ceiling, dropping it on the boss. The character can throw axes which lower the Grinning Colossus' health bar. However, the health bar regenerates too fast for the player to drain it completely.
At the end there is a short section of credits which includes the all-original song "Now You're A Hero", composed by Henrik Nåmark. The entirety of the game is often shorter than the credits song itself, which runs for 2:13. The current speedrun world record is held by "LordSaradoc" at 26s 866ms.
On the online website Kongregate, there has been a badge entitled "You have to earn the badge". This is earned by defeating Grinning Colossus.
- Nåmark, Henrik. "Now You're A Hero". Reachground. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- "You Have to Burn The Rope game page at Speedrun.com". www.speedrun.com. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- "Mazapán.se - You Have To Burn The Rope". www.mazapan.se. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- 2011-11-20. "The 11th Annual Independent Games Festival - Finalists & Winners". www.igf.com. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- "Flash game most likely to become internet meme phenomenon: YHTBTR". www.joystiq.com. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- "You Have to Burn the Rope: Behind the Music". www.joystiq.com. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- "Best Week Ever » Blog Archive » You Have To Burn The Rope Is By Far The Greatest Online Game I Have Ever Played". www.bestweekever.tv. Archived from the original on January 9, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- You Have to Burn the Ropes http://www.wowhead.com/quest=30327