Zeitlin (Yiddish: צייטלין) is a matronymic Jewish surname. It is derived from the female name Zeitl according to the rules of Slavic languages, with the possessive suffix '-in' and literally means "Zeitl's".
When transliterated from Yiddish to Russian to English, the surname may be spelled as follows. Male forms: Tseytlin, Tseitlin, Tsetlin, Tzeitlin. Female forms (usually only for Slavic nationals): Tseytlina, Tseitlina, Tsetlina, Tzeitlina.
When transliterated via Polish, the surname may be spelled as Cejtlin, Cajtlin, Zejtlin, Zajtlin.
The surname may refer to:
- Aaron Zeitlin (1889/1896/1898–1973), Russian-US Yiddish writer, composer, and poet
- Alexander Zeitlin
- Benh Zeitlin (born 1982), US filmmaker
- Denny Zeitlin (born 1938), US jazz pianist
- Hillel Zeitlin (1871–1942), Polish Yiddish writer
- Jacob Zeitlin, (1902–1987), American bookseller and poet
- Joshua Zeitlin (1742–1822), Shklov-born Russian-Jewish rabbinical scholar and philanthropist
- Joshua ben Aaron Zeitlin (1823–1888), Kiev-born Russian-Jewish scholar and philanthropist
- Judith T. Zeitlin, American-Jewish scholar of Chinese literature, chair of the Department of East Asian Languages & Civilizations at the University of Chicago
- Leo Zeitlin (1884–1930), a violinist, violist, conductor and impresario
- Mark Tseitlin (born 1943), a Russian-Israeli chess grandmaster
- Michael Lvovitch Tsetlin (1924–1966), Russian mathematician and physicist
- Mikhail Tseitlin (born 1947), Belarusian chess grandmaster
- Mirah Yom Tov Zeitlyn (born 1974), American musician
- Michail Yulyevich Tseytlin (Михаил Ю́льевич Цейтлин), also as M. Yu. Ceitlin and M. Ju. Zeitlin, a Russian mathematician, who worked on the book Gradshteyn and Ryzhik in the 1960s and early 1970s
- Solomon Zeitlin (1892/1886–1976), Lithuanian-Jewish rabbi, historian
- William Zeitlin (1850–1921), Russian-Jewish scholar and bibliographer
- Zvi Zeitlin (1923–2012), Russian-US violinist
- Vladislav Tseytlin (born 1971) is a Uzbekistani football FIFA referee
|This page lists people with the surname Zeitlin, Zaitlin, Tseytlin, Cejtlin, Tseitlin, Cajtlin, Tsetlin, etc.. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|