Zhou Yu's Train
|Zhou Yu's Train|
|Directed by||Sun Zhou|
|Produced by||Huang Jianxin
|Written by||Sun Zhou
Bei Cun (novel)
Tony Leung Ka-Fai
|Music by||Shigeru Umebayashi|
|Edited by||William Chang|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Classics|
August 1, 2002
The title refers to a poetic compilation published by the character in the movie played by Leung. The story starts at a book signing event and leads to the memories of the two lovers encounters. Zhou Yu maintained the relationship by commuting on the train, hence the title of the movie.
- Tagline: Her love is torn between a doctor and a poet.
The story is set in Chongyang (Hubei province, China) and Sanming (Fujian province). Zhou Yu, a ceramics artist from Sanming falls in love with the poet Chen Qing, who lives in Chongyang, a town several hundred kilometers from Sanming. During the train trips between Sanming and Chongyang, she also meets Zhang Qiang, a veterinary surgeon.
Gong Li plays two characters who only differ by their hair styles, namely Zhou Yu and the short-haired Xiu. The film is pieced together with many flashbacks in no particular chronological order. The relationship between the two women is unclear until the end of the film.
- Official website with synopsis, cast & crew, comments on production, and trailers (requires Flash).
- Zhou Yu's Train on IMDb
- Zhou Yu's Train at AllMovie
- Zhou Yu's Train at Rotten Tomatoes
- Kaori Shoji: Gong Li back on board, but on the wrong track. The Japan Times, Wednesday, Sept. 24, 2003.
- Michael O'Sullivan: Melodrama Derails 'Zhou Yu's Train'. The Washington Post Friday, August 27, 2004; Page WE31
- Derek Elley: Zhou Yu's Train / Zhou Yu de Huoche (China-Hong Kong). Variety Wed., Mar. 5, 2003.
- Dave Kehr: Zhou Yu's Train (2003): Torn Between a Dreamy Idealist and a Veterinarian. New York Times July 16, 2004.
- Graham Fuller: Shots in the dark: the reality of the rails may be all iron and steel, but when it comes to the movies, they're magic. February 2005.
|This article related to Chinese film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a 2000s romantic drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|