Arcade flyer featuring the game's playable characters
|Series||The House of the Dead|
|Genre(s)||Beat 'em up, shooter|
|Mode(s)||Single-player, two-player multiplayer|
Zombie Revenge (ゾンビ・リベンジ) is an arcade and Sega Dreamcast video game released in 1999, a beat 'em up game. Armed with their fists, feet, and whatever weapons they should find along the way, players are tasked with ridding an unnamed city of zombies. Originally titled Blood Bullet: The House of the Dead Side Story, the game was later renamed Zombies Nightmare before Sega decided on the name Zombie Revenge.
This game also serves as a spinoff to Sega's popular House of the Dead series of light gun games and contains numerous references to its parent series. A port of the game for the PlayStation 2 was to be released by Acclaim Entertainment and ported by Acclaim Studios Teesside, but was eventually canceled.
Plot and gameplay
A top-secret government plan to utilize the dead for military purposes called U.D.S., Undead Soldier is thrown into darkness by some unknown entity. A year later, the city becomes ravaged by zombies. Three of the best AMS agents are sent in: Stick Breitling, Linda Rotta and Rikiya Busujima. They are sent out to eliminate the enemy and track down the mysterious leader of this attack, known only as "Zed". After battling through the city, they eventually confront Zed, who reveals that Stick's father was involved in project U.D.S. Zed wants revenge for his parents, who were murdered as part of the project. He despises all humans and wishes to turn them all into zombies by spreading the virus. Zed unleashes a powerful U.D.S. inside of him that he calls the God of Destruction, that he plans to use to destroy the rest of the humans, before the three agents defeat him and save humanity.
Players battle zombies and bosses in each level through hand-to-hand combat, guns, or other weapons. Each player chooses one of the three characters with different attributes and various levels of proficiency in hand-to-hand combat and guns. The Dreamcast version of the game adds a Battle Mode in which two players can fight each other in one-on-one combat.
As a spin-off, the game contains various references to the original The House of the Dead game. Zombies sound and look the same as they did in the first game, and the main protagonists from both the original series and Revenge are AMS agents. At the start of the game, computer icons of Thomas Rogan and "G" can be seen on Linda's desktop. The Curien Mansion seen in the first House of the Dead appears as its own stage, called "The House of the Dead" and the music from the first stage is used. The final boss of Revenge is called Black Magician Type 01. The game's credits sequence are also similar, going back through the game's stages to the beginning of the game.
- Zdyrko, Dave; Dunham, Jeremy (April 21, 2001). "Zombie Revenge - PlayStation 2 Preview". IGN. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- "Zombie Revenge Critic Reviews for Dreamcast". Metacritic. Retrieved February 16, 2014.
- Williamson, Colin. "Zombie Revenge (ARC) - Review". AllGame. Retrieved February 16, 2014.
- Frankle, Gavin. "Zombie Revenge (DC) - Review". Allgame. Retrieved February 16, 2014.
- "Zombie Revenge (DC)". Electronic Gaming Monthly. 2000.
- "ドリームキャスト - ZOMBIE REVENGE (ゾンビリベンジ)". Famitsu. 915: 37. 30 June 2006.
- "REVIEW for Zombie Revenge". GameFan. January 21, 2000.
- Hawkins, Beaux (July 1999). "Zombie Revenge (ARC)". Game Informer (75): 73.
- "Zombie Revenge (DC)". Game Informer (82). February 2000. Archived from the original on June 5, 2000. Retrieved February 16, 2014.
- Uncle Dust (January 1, 2000). "Zombie Revenge Review for Dreamcast on GamePro.com". GamePro. Archived from the original on February 7, 2005. Retrieved February 16, 2014.
- Zombie Duke (February 2000). "Zombie Revenge Review (DC)". Game Revolution. Retrieved February 16, 2014.
- Mielke, James (November 30, 1999). "Zombie Revenge Review (DC)". GameSpot. Retrieved February 16, 2014.
- Jetzep (February 22, 2000). "Zombie Revenge". PlanetDreamcast. Archived from the original on January 23, 2009. Retrieved February 16, 2014.
- Justice, Brandon (January 21, 2000). "Zombie Revenge (DC)". IGN. Retrieved February 16, 2014.