|Industry||Business Intelligence, Computer Software, Data Visualization|
|Founded||2012 (launched 2014)|
Zoomdata is a business intelligence software company that specializes in real-time data visualization of big data, streaming data, and multisource analysis. The company's products are deployable on-prem, in the cloud , and embedded in other applications. SAP Data Visualization by Zoomdata is a SaaS version of Zoomdata for SAP customers.
Product and Differentiators
Zoomdata sells a data visualization and analytics platform designed for people to explore and analyze vast quantities of data and near-real-time data.
The product is different from other offerings in the business intelligence industry in several ways. One distinction is due to a patent the company holds around “Data Sharpening" to visualize big data. The user's dashboard "sharpens" and becomes clearer as more data is processed, . Matt Asay of readwrite.com compared it to watching a streaming movie, where you see some results immediately, soon followed by the whole. The Zoomdata web software also includes a Data DVR with a "Live mode" feature so dashboard visualizations can be updated in near-real-time, paused, rewinded, and fast-forwarded at different speeds.
Zoomdata claims that their product is intended for business users to explore "modern" data on their own. They claim that unlike traditional business intelligence products that are designed to work with relational databases and are SQL-centric, Zoomdata "Smart Data Connectors" connect to a wide variety of modern data sources and can retrieve data using SQL, native APIs, or a combination of both SQL and native APIs. This allows users to work with data in such disparate systems as search-engine databases like Elasticsearch, big data Hadoop databases like Apache Impala, cloud data warehouses like Snowflake, and more. The company offers several methods of working with multiple databases at the same time, including a data blending feature they call Data Fusion.
Another distinction is that Zoomdata pushes down ad-hoc queries, filters, groupings (aggregations), and even calculations to existing high-performing databases. This is in contrast to solutions that take custody of data in a proprietary system, such as Power BI import and Tableau extract, and is also more open and flexible than Arcadia Data's bet on Hadoop with a tightly-coupled, converged BI platform. The company claims that its advanced support for pushdown processing takes advantage of investments in modern, high-performing data platforms, and since data does not need to be moved, extracted, or imported, Zoomdata claims it is more accessible for organizations with regulated, PII (personally identifiable information), proprietary, and other sensitive data that must be tightly monitored for security purposes in a single system.
Patents and Technology
Zoomdata has been granted a number of patents since 2014. Patent US8631325, Real-time data visualization of streaming data, has been cited in patent applications submitted by Apple Inc, Beats Music, Google, and Hewlett-Packard.
Awards & Recognition
Zoomdata won the 2018 Technology Innovation Award from Dresner Advisory Services in the Big Data Analytics category. Dresner Advisory Services was founded by chief research analyst Howard Dresner, who is credited with coining the term business intelligence in 1989. In 2017, Zoomdata's customer GlaxoSmithKline was a finalist for the Cloudera Fifth Annual Data Impact Award as Rookie of the Year.
In prior years, Zoomdata won the Big Data and Analytics Innovation Award in the annual Hot Tickets competition hosted by The Northern Virginia Technology Council. Zoomdata was also awarded an Information Technology Innovation Award in from Ventana Research in the category of Operational Intelligence and was named a Gartner Cool Vendor in the Cool Vendors In-Memory Computing Technologies, 2016 report by Gartner, Inc. Justin Langseth, co-founder and former CEO, was recognized by Goldman Sachs as one of the 100 Most Intriguing Entrepreneurs of 2016 at its Builders + Innovators Summit.
In November 2012 Zoomdata announced a $1.1 million seed round with funding from a series of angel investors. In July 2013 Zoomdata raised a $4.1 million Series A round led by Columbus Nova Technology Partners (CNTP) with participation from New Enterprise Associates (NEA), CIT GAP Funds, Razor’s Edge Ventures and B7. The company announced a $17 million Series B led by Accel Partners in October 2014 with participation from existing investors NEA, CNTP, Razor’s Edge Ventures, and B7.
In February 2016 Zoomdata closed a series C round of funding of $25 million, led by Goldman Sachs. According to Robert J. Terry at Washington Business Journal “Joining Goldman’s Principal Strategic Investments Group in the round was new investor Comcast Ventures and previous backers Accel Partners, Columbus Nova Technology Partners and New Enterprise Associates, based in Chevy Chase.”
Zoomdata's executive management team includes:
- Chairman of the Board: Justin Langseth formerly of Clarabridge and Augaroo 
- CEO: Nick Halsey
- CFO: Bob Aldrich
- CTO: Ruhollah Farchtchi
- VP Channel Sales: Russ Cosentino
- VP of Sales: Michael Proia
- VP of Marketing: Robyn Forman
- Overly, Steven (6 October 2014). "Zoomdata collects $17M from slate of investors that includes Accel Partners". The Washington Post. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- Cloudera, © 2019; Terms, Inc All rights reserved; Policy, Conditions | Privacy; Hadoop, Data Policy Apache; trademarks, associated open source project names are trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation For a complete list of; Here, Click. "Zoomdata". Cloudera. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- Mazenko, Elizabeth (2017-05-01). "Zoomdata Review". Better Buys. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "First Look: Zoomdata's big data visualization platform". RTInsights. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- ago, Jen Underwood • 1 year (2018-01-17). "Unrivaled Big Data Exploration with Zoomdata". Analytics Industry Highlights. Retrieved 2019-02-08.
- Curry, David (2018-01-18). "Zoomdata Announces Major Update To Streaming Analytics". RTInsights. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- Desk, News. "Zoomdata Introduces Smart Streaming™, Extends Lead in Modern BI with New Capabilities | Industry Pulse". Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Real-Time Streaming, Analytics, & Visualization with MemSQL & Zoomdata". MemSQL Blog. 2017-08-18. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- Barghi, Saeed (2019-01-13). "Use Streaming Analytics to Identify and Visualise Fraudulent ATM Transactions in Real-Time". The Business Intelligence Palace. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Zoomdata Introduces Multisource Analytic Capabilities to its Platform". Database Trends and Applications. 2018-12-05. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- Zoomdata. "Zoomdata Announces Global Reseller Agreement with SAP to Deliver New Data Visualization Product". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Meharry Launches Data Institute". mms.tveyes.com. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "zoomdata-client". npm. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- US 8631325B1, "Real-time data visualization of streaming data", issued 2013-08-09
- "Zoomdata Scores $17M to Help Update the Business Intelligence Market". TechCrunch. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- "Zoomdata Raises $17m to Beautify Big Data=LightReading- Reedy, Sarah". Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- Asay, Matt. "Finally—Business Intelligence Comes To Big Data". readwrite.com. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- "Partner Repost: Using Streaming Analytics to Identify and Visualise Fraudulent ATM Transactions in Real-Time". MemSQL Blog. 2019-01-24. Retrieved 2019-02-08.
- Curry, David (2018-09-18). "Zoomdata Partners With Brazil's Largest Credit Card Operator". RTInsights. Retrieved 2019-02-08.
- "Widest Set of Modern Big Data Sources". Zoomdata. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Data Blending". Zoomdata. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- davidiseminger. "Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop - Power BI". docs.microsoft.com. Retrieved 2019-02-08.
- davidiseminger. "Using DirectQuery in Power BI - Power BI". docs.microsoft.com. Retrieved 2019-02-08.
- "Extracts at Hyper speed: What you need to know". Tableau Software. Retrieved 2019-02-08.
- "Converging BI and Visual Analytics". Arcadia Data. 2016-01-13. Retrieved 2019-02-08.
- "Zoomdata Review - Cool technology that fits perfectly within every data platform by G2 Crowd User November 21, 2018". G2 Crowd. Retrieved 2019-02-08.
- "Patents Assigned to Zoomdata, Inc. - Justia Patents Search". patents.justia.com. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- Real-time data visualization of streaming data
- "Zoomdata Architecture". Zoomdata. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- Werling, Mike (2018-01-22). "New Tools Available for Custom Chart Development". Zoomdata Developers Zone. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Zoomdata Client | Zoomdata". Zoomdata Developers Zone. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Metadata API Docs | Zoomdata". Zoomdata Developers Zone. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- LLC, Dresner Advisory Services (2019-01-24). "Dresner Advisory Services Announces 2018 Technology Innovation Award Recipients". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Here are the N. Va. Technology Council's 2016 'Hot Ticket' Winners". Washington Post. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- "Technology Innovation Awards". Ventana Research. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- "Cool Vendors in In-Memory Computing Technology, 2016". www.gartner.com. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Zoomdata CEO Justin Langseth Honored by Goldman Sachs for Entrepreneurship". MarketWatch. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- "Big Data Visualization Startup Zoomdata Launches with $1.1M of Seed Funding". PR Newswire. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- "Here's how it looks when Big Data goes mobile first". Gigaom- Harris, Derrick. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- "Goldman Sachs leads $25M funding round in Zoomdata". Washington Business Journal. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "Real-Time Data Warehousing: Challenges and Solutions". DDS Resources. Retrieved 2 February 2004.
- "Justin Langseth". O’Reilly. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- "An Interview with Justin Langseth". Northern Virginia Technology Council. Retrieved 8 May 2006.
- Zoomdata (2017-09-06). "Zoomdata Bolsters Executive Team, Promotes Nick Halsey to CEO and Adds Michael Proia as Vice President of Sales". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Parature Names Robert Aldrich Chief Financial Officer". Parature. Retrieved 7 March 2008.
- "Microsft Acquires for $100m to Boster Knowledge Base for Dynamic CRM Platform". Tech Crunch =Williams, Alex. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- "Bloomberg - Executive Profile". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Company Management". Zoomdata. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- Official website at zoomdata.com