Zunfthaus zur Saffran
|Zunfthaus zur Saffran|
|Native name |
German: Zunfthaus zur Saffran
|Elevation||408 m (1,339 ft)|
|Built||1732, renewed 1995|
|Governing body||Zunft zur Saffran|
Zunfthaus Zur Saffran (the guild house of the spice traders; Saffran means saffron) is a historically significant building in Zürich, Switzerland. It is located along the Limmatquai promenade between Münsterbrücke and Rathausbrücke. It is close to the Kämbel, Zimmerleuten and Rüden guild houses. The building is listed in the Swiss inventory of cultural property of national and regional significance as a major object of regional importance.
The guild house's earliest recorded history dates back to 1383, when 18 individuals bought a building on the land where it now stands. Five buildings preceded the current building. Construction began on the current building between 1719 and 1723.
The current building is situated on the Limmat River’s right bank in the immediate neighborhood of the Grossmünster church, the Rathaus, Zürich, and the Haus Zum Rüden. The building exhibits typical architectural features from its era such as its facade, which includes cornices and columns. In the mid-19th-century, the building was also used as an improvised post office.
The latest renovation was completed in 1995. The big guild hall on the first floor, the small guild hall, and the White Rose hall on the second floor are available for visiting. The guild house is referenced in the book Das Zürcher Zunftwesen by Markus Brühlmeier and Beat Frei.
Currently, as of January 11, 2016, the building serves as a dinner hall and is open Sunday through Saturday from 7 A.M. to 12 P.M. local time.
- Maximum Capacity: 250
- Distance to Zürich Main Station: 700 m
- Travel time from Zürich Main Station (public transport): 8 minutes
- Travel time from Zürich Airport (public transport): 25 minutes
As seen from Gmüesbrugg
- "B-Objekte KGS-Inventar" (PDF). Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft, Amt für Bevölkerungsschutz. 2015-02-18. Retrieved 2015-09-13.
- "W I 6.1, Nr. 1 Lehenbrief der Äbtissin von Zürich um das Haus zum Schiff (1389.06.05)" (in German). Staatsarchiv des Kantons Zürich. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "Beschreibung: Zunfthaus zur Saffran, Limmatquai 54, 8001 Zürich" (in German). Zunft zu Saffran. 2010. Retrieved 2015-01-07.
- Gebrüder Dürst. "Das Postwesen im alten Zürich" (in German). alt-zueri.ch. Retrieved 2015-01-07.
- "Zunfthaus zur Saffran". zuerich.com. Retrieved 2016-01-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zunfthaus zur Saffran.|
- Official website (in German)