1783 in literature
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in literature (table)|
|... 1773 . 1774 . 1775 . 1776 . 1777 . 1778 . 1779 ...
1780 1781 1782 -1783- 1784 1785 1786
... 1787 . 1788 . 1789 . 1790 . 1791 . 1792 . 1793 ...
In poetry: 1780 1781 1782 -1783- 1784 1785 1786
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
The year 1783 in literature involved some significant literary events and new works.
- April 14 - Gotthold Ephraim Lessing's drama Nathan der Weise receives its first professional performance, in Berlin.
- September - Friedrich Schiller, having left Stuttgart for Weimar to avoid persecution, becomes resident dramatist at Mannheim.
- William Cobbett arrives in London.
- August von Kotzebue is appointed to the high court of appeal in Reval.
- Thomas Day - The History of Standford and Merton
- Rhijnvis Feith - Julia
- Ellenor Fenn (as "Mrs. Teachwell") - Cobwebs to Catch Flies
- Thomas Holcroft - The Family Picture
- Sophia Lee - The Recess
- Anna Maria Mackenzie - Burton-Wood
- Clara Reeve - The Two Mentors
- Vittorio Alfieri - Agamennone
- Frances Brooke - Roxina
- Hannah Cowley - Which is the Man?
- Richard Cumberland - The Mysterious Husband
- John O'Keeffe - The Poor Soldier
- Lady Anne Barnard - Auld Robin Gray (ballad) (published anonymously)
- William Blake - Poetical Sketches
- Jane Cave Winscom - Poems
- Judith Cowper - The Progress of Poetry
- George Crabbe - The Village
- Joseph Ritson - A Select Collection of English Songs
- John Wolcot as "Peter Pindar" - More Lyric Odes, to the Royal Academicians
- See also 1783 in poetry
- James Beattie - Dissertations Moral and Critical
- William Beckford - Dreams, Waking Thughts and Incidents
- Hugh Blair - Lectures on Rhetoric and Belles Lettres
- Edmund Burke - Letter on the Penal Laws Against Irish Catholics
- Adam Ferguson - History of the Progress and Termination of the Roman Republic
- William Godwin - Life of Lord Chatham
- Immanuel Kant - Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics That Will Be Able to Present Itself as a Science
- Vicesimus Knox - Elegant Extracts
- Mémoires secrets (anonymous)
- Ezra Stiles - The United States elevated to Glory and Honor
- Horace-Bénédict de Saussure - Essai sur l'hygrométrie
- January 23 - Stendhal, novelist (died 1842)
- April 3 - Washington Irving, short story writer (died 1859)
- September 23 - Jane Taylor, poet and novelist (died 1824)
- January 2 - Johann Jakob Bodmer, journalist and critic (born 1698)
- April 17 - Louise d'Epinay (born 1726)
- September 6 - Anna Williams, poet and friend of Dr Johnson (born 1706)
- October 10 - Henry Brooke, novelist, playwright, and poet (born 1703)
- October 29 - Jean le Rond d'Alembert, mathematician
- November 3 - Charles Collé, dramatist (born 1709)
- November 23 - Ann Eliza Bleecker, poet and novelist (born 1752)
- [Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller Biography. Accessed 12 February 2013.]
- "The History of Sandford and Merton". Broadview Press. Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- Pallimed Arts and Humanities: Poetry and Pain. Accessed 12 February 2013