1971 Masters Tournament
|Dates||April 8–11, 1971|
|Course(s)||Augusta National Golf Club|
|Length||6,980 yards (6,383 m)|
|Field||77 players, 48 after cut|
The 1971 Masters Tournament was the 35th Masters Tournament, held April 8–11 at Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia. Charles Coody won his only major championship, two strokes ahead of runners-up Johnny Miller and Jack Nicklaus.
Miller was six-under for the round and ahead by two strokes through 14 holes on Sunday, but could not hold on to win. Coody, co-leader with Nicklaus entering the round, rebounded from a bogey at 14 with two consecutive birdies and parred the final two holes while Miller, 23, bogeyed two of the last three holes. It was a bit of redemption for Coody, who bogeyed the final three holes in 1969 to finish two strokes back. It was Coody's third and final win on the PGA Tour.
For the only time in its history, the Masters was not the first major championship of the year. The 1971 PGA Championship was played in Florida in February, and was won by Nicklaus. The co-leader entering Sunday, his attempt to secure the second leg of the grand slam came up short on the back nine on Sunday, as he shot 37 for an even-par 72.
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Charles Coody||United States||66-73-70-70=279||−9||25,000|
|T2||Johnny Miller||United States||72-73-68-68=281||−7||17,500|
|Jack Nicklaus||United States||70-71-68-72=281|
|T4||Don January||United States||69-69-73-72=283||−5||9,050|
|Gene Littler||United States||72-69-73-69=283|
|T6||Gary Player||South Africa||72-72-71-69=284||−4||5,600|
|Ken Still||United States||72-71-72-69=284|
|Tom Weiskopf||United States||71-69-72-72=284|
|T9||Frank Beard||United States||74-73-69-70=286||−2||3,767|
|Dave Stockton||United States||72-73-69-72=286|
Cumulative tournament scores, relative to par
- Mizell, Hubert (April 12, 1971). "Coody atones for earlier 'choke'". Eugene Register-Guard. Associated Press. p. 3B.
- Jenkins, Dan (April 19, 1971). "There went the Slam". Sports Illustrated: 16.
- "Nicklaus, Coody tied for lead in Masters". Eugene Register-Guard. Associated Press. April 11, 1971. p. 1C.
- "Coody wins to make amends". Milwaukee Journal. April 12, 1971. p. 11-part 2.
- Masters.com – past winners and results
- About.com: 1971 Masters
- Augusta.com – 1971 Masters leaderboard and scorecards