2013 New Zealand rugby league season
The 2013 New Zealand rugby league season was the 106th season of rugby league that had been played in New Zealand. The main feature of the year was the National Competition run by the New Zealand Rugby League. The competition was won by the Akarana Falcons, who defeated the Counties Manukau Stingrays 22-12 in the final.
The New Zealand Kiwis played the annual ANZAC Test against Australia at Canberra Stadium on 19 April, losing 12-32. The squad was Josh Hoffman, Sam Perrett, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Dean Whare, Jason Nightingale, Kieran Foran (c), Shaun Johnson, Jesse Bromwich, Issac Luke, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Frank Pritchard, Kevin Proctor, Alex Glenn, Bench: Elijah Taylor, Sam McKendry, Ben Matulino, Tohu Harris. Captain Simon Mannering was ruled out on the day of the test, with Glenn replacing him in the starting side and Harris joining the bench. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was the reserve.
At the end of the year the Kiwis participated in the 2013 World Cup, where they made it to the grand final and lost to Australia 34-2. The tournament was hosted in England, Wales, France and Ireland. The Kiwis played a warm up game against the Cook Islands side, winning 50-0. The match was not an official test match and featured a six man bench and an unlimited interchange.
The New Zealand Māori side hosted the Murri Queensland Indigenous team. Coached by Darren Pirini, the squad consisted of Steve Wateford, Thyme Nikau, Rusty Bristow, Zebastian Luisi, Tee Mahe, Cody Walker, Jody Henry, Sam Rapira, Kurt Kara, Charlie Gubb, Bodene Thompson, Rulon Nutira, Scott Jones, Hamiora Mihaka , Tony Tuia, Jay Pukepuke and Kouma Samson.
The Junior Kiwis lost 26-38 to the Junior Kangaroos at WIN Jubilee Oval on 13 October 2013. The side was coached by and included Kurtis Rowe, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Jeremy Hawkins, Ngani Laumape, David Fusitua, Tuimoala Lolohea, Mason Lino, Albert Vete, Manaia Cherrington, James Taylor, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Joseph Tapine, David Bhana (c). Interchange: Mitch Clark, David Minute, Zach Docker-Clay, Takai Moeakiola.
Rugby League Cup
2013 was the fourth year of the National Competition.
- The Akarana Falcons were coached by Steve Buckingham and included Tevita Latu and Malo Solomona.
- The South Island Scorpions were renamed the Canterbury Bulls. They continued to represent the entire South Island. The Bulls were coached by Mike Dorreen.
- The Counties Manukau Stingrays included Zebastian Luisi and Mataupu Poching.
- The Wellington Orcas were coached by Mike Kuiti.
|Counties Manukau Stingrays||6||6||0||0||1||294||118||14|
|Waicoa Bay Stallions||6||3||0||3||1||184||204||8|
|Counties Manukau Stingrays||12 - 22||Akarana Falcons||21 October||Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland|
The Auckland Rugby League competition began on 30 March and ended on 18 August when the Point Chevalier Pirates defeated the Mount Albert Lions 24-22 in the grand final. The Sharman Cup was won by the Richmond Rovers who defeated the Otara Scorpions 18-14 and the Mount Wellington Warriors defeated the Glenfield Greyhounds 39-10 to win the Phelan Shield.
Zebastian Luisi was named the player of the year, Point Chevalier's Matiu Love-Henry was the rookie of the year, Mount Albert's James Blackwell was the competitions top try-scorer and Mount Albert's Cody Walker won the Lance Painter Rose Bowl as top goal scorer.
- The Mount Albert Lions are coached by Steve Buckingham and include Matthew Sturm.
- The Howick Hornets include player-coach Zebastian Luisi.
- The Point Chevalier Pirates include Tevita Latu, Malo Solomona and Jeremiah Pai.
- The East Coast Bays Barracudas are coached by Ken McIntosh.
- The Richmond Bulldogs include Vae Kololo.
- The Papakura Sea Eagles include Eliakimi Uasi.
Addington, Sydenham and Linwood all celebrated their centenaries during the season.
- Canberra to host 2013 Anzac league test stuff.co.nz, 15 August 2012
- Luckless Kiwis bemoan video ref rulings stuff.co.nz, 20 April 2013
- Foran looks to brain not brawn to defeat rivals New Zealand Herald, 19 April 2013
- Kiwis captain Mannering out of Anzac test stuff.co.nz, 19 April 2013
- 2013 Rugby League World Cup to visit Ireland and France The Guardian, 28 November 2011
- New Zealand Maori Invitation XIII to play Murri Queensland Indigenous Side. nzrl.co.nz, 9 October 2013
- Fairfax (10 December 2013). "Kieran Foran named NZRL player of the year". stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Rivals able to merge for Akarana powerhouse stuff.co.nz, 8 September 2013
- National Competition nzrl.co.nz
- Team Lists aucklandleague.co.nz, 30 March 2013
- ARL Annual Awards Dinner aucklandleague.co.nz, 15 August 2013
- Panthers pounce with thrilling win By T.Smith sportingpulse.com, 12 August 2013
- Celebrations in order for long-standing league clubs stuff.co.nz, 30 March 2013