Acocks Green railway station
|Local authority||City of Birmingham|
|Managed by||London Midland|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|1 October 1852||Station opens as Acocks Green|
|1878||Station renamed Acocks Green and South Yardley|
|6 May 1968||Station renamed Acocks Green|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Acocks Green from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Acocks Green railway station (previously known as Acocks Green & South Yardley) serves the Acocks Green area of Birmingham, in the West Midlands of England. Pre-nationalisation a GWR station on their main line from London (Paddington) to Birkenhead (Woodside) the station is now served by London Midland, who manage the station, and by Chiltern Railways.
Acocks Green was built to connect the local community to the industrialised areas of the city. Although the station never had a goods yard, Acocks Green boasted 4 platforms, and a loop line on the northbound slow line. British Rail rationalisation led to the removal of the slow lines (and loop) in both directions and the demolition of one island platform to allow for the construction of the current car park.
The station is served by three trains per hour in each direction between Birmingham Snow Hill and Dorridge. The Birmingham trains continue to either Stourbridge Junction or Kidderminster. One Dorridge service per hour continues to Stratford-upon-Avon, in peak hours some services extend to Leamington Spa.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
London - Birmingham
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. OCLC 22311137.
- Photographs of Acocks Green station at warwickshirerailways.com
- Rail Around Birmingham and the West Midlands: Acocks Green station
- Network West Midlands station page 
- Station on navigable O.S. map
|This article about a West Midlands building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a railway station in the West Midlands region is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|