Wojnarowski began his career working for the Hartford Courant starting as a high school senior and continuing during breaks from college. After graduating from college, he wrote for some smaller papers before becoming a columnist for the Fresno Bee in 1995.
In 1997, he started working for The Record in New Jersey. As a result of his work with The Record, he was named “Columnist of the Year” in 1997 and 2002 by the Associated Press Sports Editors. During this time, he also contributed regularly to ESPN.com. In 2006, he published a New York Times best-seller: The Miracle of St. Anthony: A Season with Coach Bob Hurley and Basketball's Most Improbable Dynasty.
In 2007, he left The Record and joined Yahoo! Sports full-time. Wojnarowski has helped break many major national stories while at Yahoo! Sports. In March 2009, he and Dan Wetzel wrote a story tying the Connecticut Huskies men's basketball program to several recruiting violations. In 2010 the New York Post reported that Wojnarowski was being sued by the Penguin Group for failing to meet a book deadline covering the life of coach Jim Valvano. Wojnarowski responded that the problem was "a miscommunication between my agent and me" and said that he would be returning the money to Penguin Books.
Wojnarowski is widely considered the best NBA "scooper" in the business, particularly during the NBA Draft, when Wojnarowski calls the picks ahead of time on his Twitter account. However, Wojnarowski has been criticized by media critics for his reporting on NBA player LeBron James, being accused of having an apparent bias and relying on anonymous sources. He was listed #1 in Sports Media Watch's Worst of Sports Media 2010 as a result of this criticism. Wojnarowski has defended some of his coverage of James by saying, "We aren't doing TV deals with LeBron; we aren't trying to be his buddy; we're covering him".
- Wojnarowski, Adrian (January 19, 2006). The Miracle of St. Anthony: A Season with Coach Bob Hurley and Basketball's Most Improbable Dynasty. Gotham Books. pp. 416 pages. ISBN 1-59240-186-4.
- Yahoo! Staff (n.d.). "NBA – Adrian Wojnarowski". Yahoo! Sports. Archived from the original on 2 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-07.
- Wojnarowski helps Yahoo climb to top Greg Connors, Buffalo News, August 13, 2010 at the Wayback Machine (archived October 21, 2011)
- Yahoo! writer sued by publisher over failure to meet deadline on Valvano biography
- Golding, Bruce (2010). Sportswriter sued over failure to deliver Valvano bio, New York Post, September 1, 2010.
- Caspian King, Jay (27 June 2014). "Twitter's NBA Draft Oracle". New Yorker. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- Strauss, Ethan Sherwood (2010). Outside Look at Wojnarowski's Lebron Article, WarriorsWorld, July 19, 2010.
- Shoals, Bethlehem (2010). With Lebron James, How Anonymous is Too Anonymous?, AOL News, July 19, 2010.
- Brown, Larry (2011). Why Anything Adrian Wojnarowski Writes About Lebron James Needs to be Ignored, Larry Brown Sports, June 7, 2011.
- Sports Media Watch (2010). Worst of Sports Media 2010, Sports Media Watch, December 15, 2010.