Dennard in the 2013 NFL postseason.
No. 37 New England Patriots
|Date of birth:September 9, 1989|
|Place of birth: Rochelle, Georgia|
|NFL Draft: 2012 / Round: 7 / Pick: 224|
|Debuted in 2012 for the New England Patriots|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of Week 16, 2013
As a junior in 2010, Dennard started 13 of 14 games and had 31 tackles and four interceptions. He was a second team all-Big 12 Conference selection. In his 2011 senior year Dennard was an all-Big Ten first-team selection and earned the Big Ten's Tatum-Woodson Defensive Back of the Year award.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Rochelle, GA||Wilcox County High School||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)||185 lb (84 kg)||4.4||Jan 31, 2008|
|Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: N/A ESPN grade: 77|
|Overall recruiting rankings:|
2012 NFL Draft
Dennard was projected to be a second-round to fourth-round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. He was at one point considered one of the top cornerbacks of the draft, but encountered a series of setbacks which caused his draft projection to fall. In his final game as a Cornhusker Dennard was ejected for fighting with South Carolina receiver Alshon Jeffery. He then experienced a lackluster Senior Bowl performance later that month. On April 21, 2012, a week before the draft, he allegedly punched a police officer outside a bar in Lincoln, Nebraska, where he faced charges of third-degree felony assault at a February 11, 2013 trial. He was facing a penalty of up to five years in prison if convicted. He eventually fell to the seventh round of the draft, being selected at No. 224 by the New England Patriots.
New England Patriots
Dennard made his NFL debut on October 7, 2012, in week 5 of the 2012 NFL season. He missed the first four games of the season due to a hamstring injury. In his first game appearance, Dennard rotated in with Sterling Moore against Peyton Manning (and the Denver Broncos) where he recorded one tackle and didn't allow a pass completion on four targets.
On October 21, 2012, Dennard intercepted a deep pass from Mark Sanchez (then New York Jets quarterback) near the endzone. A week later he intercepted a pass by Rams quarterback, Sam Bradford, and returned it for eight yards. On November 16, 2012, Dennard was fined $7,875 for a late hit against the Buffalo Bills. On November 18 against the Indianapolis Colts, Dennard intercepted a pass from fellow rookie Andrew Luck and returned it 87 yards for the first touchdown of his career. And on January 11, 2014, against the same Colts, Dennard intercepted Andrew Luck twice to record his first-ever interception(s) in the NFL Playoffs in his career; he finished the game with 4 passes defensed and 2 tackles.
|Year||Team||Games||Combine Tackles||Tackles||Assisted Tackles||Sacks||Forced Fumbles||Fumble Recoveries||Fumble Return Yards||Interceptions||Interception Return Yards||Average Yards per Interception Return||Longest Interception Return||Interceptions Returned for Touchdown||Pass Defended||Stuffs||Stuff Yards||Kicks Blocked|
Dennard was convicted of felony assault on a police officer in Lincoln, Nebraska, on February 20, 2013. On April 11, 2013, Dennard was sentenced to 30 days in jail beginning on March 1, 2014, and two years of probation. Three months into his probation Dennard was arrested on suspicion of a DUI on the morning of July 11, 2013. He admitted to this parole violation at a later court hearing and was scheduled for a sentencing hearing on December 5, 2013. At the hearing he was sentenced to an additional 30 days in jail, was required to complete an additional 100 hours of community service, had his probation extended an additional year, and was given a "no alcohol" condition. On March 1, 2014, Dennard reported to the Lancaster County Adult Detention Facility in Nebraska to begin serving his 60-day jail term.
- "All-Big 12 Football Awards Announced". Big12Spots.com. November 30, 2010. Retrieved December 2, 2011.
- Kaipust, Rich (November 28, 2011). "A Good First Impression". Omaha.com. Retrieved December 2, 2011.
- "Draft Scout Profile". NFLDraftScout.com. Retrieved February 6, 2012.
- "Alfonzo Dennard Draft Profile". SI.com. Retrieved April 24, 2012.
- Smith, Michael David (January 2, 2012). "Likely first-round picks Jeffery, Dennard ejected for bowl game fight". NBC Sports. Retrieved April 24, 2012.
- Yates, Field (January 17, 2013). "Alfonzo Dennard trial set for Feb. 11". ESPN.com.
- Hanzus, Dan (February 20, 2013). "Alfonzo Dennard facing prison after assault conviction". National Football League. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Keyd, Doug (October 8, 2012). "Alfonzo Dennard Doesn't Allow Reception in Strong Debut Rotating With Sterling Moore in Patriots Win Over Broncos". New England Sports Network. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- "Alfonzo Dennard says first career interception ‘felt pretty good’". BostonHerald.com. October 22, 2012. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- "Devin McCourty, Alfonzo Dennard’s Improvements Beginning to Solve Problems in Patriots’ Secondary". NESN.com. October 30, 2012. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- "Scores for January 11th, 2014". ESPN.com. January 12, 2014. Retrieved January 12, 2014.
- "Alfonzo Dennard Stats". ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Pats' Alfonzo Dennard convicted of assaulting officer". USA Today. February 20, 2013. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- "Pats' Alfonzo Dennard sentenced". ESPN.com. April 11, 2013. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- McKewon, Sam (September 16, 2013). "Alfonzo Dennard admits probation violation". Omaha Herald. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- Katzowitz, Josh (December 5, 2013). "Patriots CB Alfonzo Dennard sentenced to extra 30 days in jail". CBSsports.com. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- "Alfonzo Dennard reports to Neb. jail". ESPN. Associated Press. March 1, 2014. Retrieved March 1, 2014.