America's Cup Hall of Fame
The America's Cup Hall of Fame, located at the Herreshoff Marine Museum of Bristol, Rhode Island, USA, honors individuals for outstanding achievement in the America's Cup sailing competition. Candidates eligible for consideration include skippers, afterguard, crew, designers, builders, organizers, syndicate managers, supporters, chroniclers, race managers, and other individuals of merit. A selection committee of twenty-two members consisting of former America's Cup participants, yachting historians, and yachting journalists annually selects a class of one to four inductees. Rolex and Louis Vuitton have been sponsors of the Hall of Fame's induction ceremonies.
The Hall of Fame's museum, a division of the Herreshoff Marine Museum, features plaques of the inductees and permanent and temporary exhibitions of artifacts related to the America's Cup. The museum's library contains one of the largest collections of manuscripts and books related to the America's Cup and yachting history.
Halsey C. Herreshoff, former president of the Herreshoff Marine Museum and three-time America's Cup winner, founded the Hall of Fame in 1992. In the following year, on September 18, eighteen "charter" inductees were honored at the Herreshoff Marine Museum. Since then, fifty-five inductees have joined the Hall of Fame.
List of Inductees
- Halsey C. Herreshoff
- Simon Daubney
- Warwick Fleury
- Murray Jones
- Dean Phipps
- Mike Drummond
- Patrizio Bertelli
- Gerard B. Lambert, Sr.
- Jonathan Wright
- Grant Simmer
- Noel Robins
- Lucy M. Jewett
- "Herreshoff Marine Museum website". Archived from the original on 29 December 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- Victor Danilov. Hall of Fame Museums. A Reference Guide. Greenwood Press, 1997. Pages 134-135.. Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- America's Cup Hall of Fame webpage. Herreshoff Marine Museum website. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- "Barbara Lloyd. New York Times: A youthful hall of famer says he's just begun to sail. September 11, 1998.". The New York Times. September 11, 1996. Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- "New York Social Diary: Rolex America's Cup Hall of Fame Party Pictures October 2003". Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- "Sailing Scuttlebutt. 15th Annual America's Cup Hall of Fame. Press Release.". Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- "Sailing Scuttlebutt. 16th Annual America's Cup Hall of Fame. Press Release.". Archived from the original on 11 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-27.
- "Scuttlebutt News". Scuttlebutt Sailing Club. October 19, 2009. Archived from the original on 27 November 2010. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- The 17th America’s Cup Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony was held on September 18, 2010. "America's Cup Stars Shine at Hall of Fame Induction". September 21, 2010. America's Cup Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony webpage. Herreshoff Marine Museum / America's Cup Hall of Fame website. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- "America's Cup Hall of Fame: Inductees". Herreshoff Marine Museum. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- America's Cup Hall of Fame webpage. Herreshoff Marine Museum website.
- Visitor Information webpage. Herreshoff Marine Museum website.
- Herreshoff Marine Museum website