||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013)|
|Born||Anatoli Dmitrievich Papanov
October 31, 1922
Vyazma, RSFSR, USSR
|Died||August 7, 1987
|Spouse(s)||Nadezhda Karatayeva (m. 1945)|
Papanov starred in some of the best and well-known Soviet films, often together with his friend, Andrei Mironov. Mostly known for his great performances in comedies, he also had serious and dramatic roles, such as that of the political prisoner in Cold Summer of 1953. Anatoli Papanov was honored as People's Artist of the USSR (1973).
Anatoli Papanov was born into a family of common workers in Vyazma. The family moved to Moscow in the 1930s. As a schoolboy he attended a drama circle, yet he pursued an actor’s career only after having worked as a caster at a factory and fought in the second world war. In 1942 he was badly wounded and invalided to the reserve. As a student of GITIS (State Institute of Theatre Arts) he met his future wife, his fellow student Nadezhda Karatayeva, who had also seen war, being a nurse in a hospital train. They got married ten days after the end of war, on May 20, 1945.
Gaining recognition on stage of the Moscow Theatre of Satire (where he altogether worked for about 40 years) in the mid-1950s Anatoli Papanov attracted attention of film directors as well. He started with supporting roles in comedies, yet became really famous after his work as General Serpilin in the war drama The Alive and the Dead (1963).
His last work was in the tragic drama Cold Summer of 1953 (1987) Papanov died of a heart attack on August 7, 1987 while taking a cold shower (the hot water was off that day), just nine days before the death of his long-time friend and co-star Andrei Mironov. Anatoli Papanov was laid to rest in the Novodevichy Cemetery.
- Composer Glinka (Композитор Глинка, 1952)
- The Cossacks (Казаки, 1961)
- Nowhere Man (Человек ниоткуда, 1961)
- A Trip Without a Load (Порожний рейс, 1962)
- The Alive and the Dead (Живые и мёртвые, 1964)
- Don Quixote's Children (Дети Дон-Кихота, 1965)
- Two Comrades Were Serving (Служили два товарища, 1968)
- Beware of the Car (Берегись автомобиля, 1966)
- The Diamond Arm (Бриллиантовая рука, 1968)
- Byelorussian Station (Белорусский вокзал, 1970)
- All The King's Men (film, 1971) (Вся королевская рать, 1971) — Burden Sr.
- Gentlemen of Fortune (Джентльмены удачи, 1971)
- A Bad Good Man (Плохой хороший человек, 1973)
- The Twelve Chairs (Двенадцать стульев, 1976)
- Mama, I'm Alive (Я живой, мама, 1977)
- Cold Summer of 1953 (Холодное лето пятьдесят третьего, 1987)
- A Little Frog Is looking for His Father (1964)
- Adventures of Mowgli (1967-1971)
- The Little Mermaid (Русалочка, 1968)
- Nu, pogodi! (Ну, погоди! 1969–1987, 1993-94, 18 episodes)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anatoli Papanov.|
- Anatoli Papanov at the Internet Movie Database
- Anatoli Papanov. A Short Biography of the Great Actor