From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||Hannah, Anna, Áine
||Look up Anya in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Anya is a feminine given name. It is also found as a surname.
Origins and variant forms
- Anya (Аня) is a Russian diminutive of Anna, derived from Hannah which means "gracious" or "bringing goodness" in the original Hebrew language.
- Ania is the spelling in Polish, which is also a diminutive of Anna.
- The spelling Anja is common in Croatian, Norwegian, Danish, German, Swedish, Finnish, Dutch, Slovenian, Macedonian and Serbian.
- Áine is the Irish spelling of the name.
- Anya in Sanskrit is either a word meaning "inexhaustibility" or a pronoun meaning "other" or "another person" (it also has this meaning in Hindi).
- Aanya is a common spelling of this name in India.
- Anya in Hungarian means mother (other forms: édesanya, anyu, anyuka, anyuci) .
- Inya along with 'mama' means mother in some sub-ethnic languages of the Luhya ethnic group of Kenya.
- Anya means "eye" in the Igbo language of Nigeria.
People with the given name Anya
- Anya Ayoung-Chee, former Miss Trinidad and Tobago and winner of season 9 of Project Runway
- Anya Corke, Woman Grandmaster and the top female chess player in Hong Kong
- Anya Gallaccio, British artist
- Anya Garnis, Siberian Ballroom and Latin Dancer
- Anya Hindmarch, a British fashion designer
- Anya Kamenetz, a freelance writer
- Anya Rozova, a fashion model, runner-up in America's Next Top Model under the name Anya Kop
- Anya Lahiri, a British singer
- Anya Major, an athlete, actress, model and singer
- Anya Marina, a singer-songwriter
- Anya Monzikova, a Russian-American model on the Deal or No Deal game show
- Anya Schiffrin, an international business professor at Columbia University
- Anya Seton, author of historical romances
- Anya Taranda, an American model
- Anya Teixeira, a street photographer
People with the given name Anja
People with the given name Ania
- Anya Alstreim, a supporting character in Code Geass.
- Anya Amasova, a Soviet spy played by Barbara Bach in the James Bond movie The Spy Who Loved Me.
- Anya Claus, wife of Dudley Moore's Santa in Santa Claus: The Movie.
- Anya Jenkins, a thousand-year-old vengeance demon played by Emma Caulfield in the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Anya MacPherson in Degrassi: The Next Generation.
- Anya Stroud, the dispatch girl from the science fiction video game Gears of War
- Ania Williams in the soap opera Family Affairs.
- Anya, an alchemist in Diablo II: Lord of Destruction.
- Anya, Princess Ann played by Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday.
- Anya, daughter of the Marvel Comics character Magneto.
- Anya (Star Trek), a guardian in the Star Trek episode "The Dauphin".
- Anya is Princess Anastasia's name as an orphan in the theatrical release of the 1997 animated family film Anastasia produced by 20th Century Fox.
- Anya in Negima!.
- Ania, Iolaus's wife-to-be, played by Jill Sayre in Hercules and the Amazon Women.
- Anya, a mission director in the game Project I.G.I.: I'm Going In and its sequel.
- Anya Borzakovskaya, from the 2011 graphic novel Anya's Ghost.
- The Groovy Girls doll line, by Manhattan Toy, features a doll named Anya.
- Anya Hepburn, a wealthy meister in the DWMA. Soul Eater Not!.
People with the surname Anya