Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Woody Allen|
|Produced by||Letty Aronson|
|Written by||Woody Allen|
|Edited by||Alisa Lepselter|
|Distributed by||DreamWorks (USA)
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (UK DVD)
Anything Else is a 2003 romantic comedy film. The film was written and directed by Woody Allen, produced by his sister Letty Aronson, and stars Jason Biggs, Christina Ricci, Woody Allen, Stockard Channing, Danny DeVito, Jimmy Fallon, Erica Leerhsen and KaDee Strickland.
Anything Else was the opening-night selection at the 60th annual Venice International Film Festival.
Jerry Falk (Biggs) is an aspiring writer living in New York City, who falls in love at first sight with Amanda (Ricci) and begins having an affair. He eventually tells his girlfriend about it so that she will dump him, because Falk cannot end relationships. Seeking advice, Jerry turns to an aging struggling artist (Allen) who acts as his oracle — and that includes trying to help sort out Jerry’s romantic life.
- Jason Biggs as Jerry Falk
- Christina Ricci as Amanda Chase
- Woody Allen as David Dobel
- Stockard Channing as Paula Chase
- Danny DeVito as Harvey Wexler
- Jimmy Fallon as Bob
- Erica Leerhsen as Connie
- KaDee Strickland as Brooke
- Adrian Grenier as Ray Polito
- David Conrad as Dr. Phil Reed
The film received generally mixed reviews from critics. The review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reported that the film received 40 percent positive reviews, based on 129 reviews. Metacritic reported the film had an average score of 43 out of 100, based on 37 reviews. Leonard Maltin, in his movie and video guide, gave the film a “BOMB” rating (the only Allen-directed film he has ever rated BOMB), and called it “Allen’s all-time worst”. However, the reception was not entirely negative; in August 2009, it was cited by Quentin Tarantino as one of his favorite 20 films since 1992.
Anything Else is only the second Allen film to be shot in anamorphic format, the first being Manhattan. It also has the honor of being the first film released with all prints having cyan dye optical soundtracks (the new standard for analog sound on film prints).
- "Anything Else - Movie Reviews, Trailers, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Archived from the original on 19 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- "Anything Else (2003): Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- "Quentin Tarantino - Forgotten Jason Biggs Movie is One of the Best Films of All Time". Movieline. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- Anything Else at the Internet Movie Database
- Anything Else at AllMovie
- Anything Else at Rotten Tomatoes
- Anything Else at Metacritic
- Anything Else at Box Office Mojo