Arab Open University
|Arab Open University|
|الجامعة العربية المفتوحة|
|Motto||Towards a promising future|
|President||Prince Talal ibn Abdulaziz|
Arab Open University (AOU, in Arabic الجامعة العربية المفتوحة) is a non-profit, private Pan Arab university founded in 2002. The university occupies several campuses located across the Middle East, including in Kuwait, Jordan, and Lebanon. In 2003 campuses were opened in Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Oman. The AOU is affiliated with the UK Open University (UKOU). Four validated programs have been established:
- Faculty of Information Technology and Computing
- Faculty of Language Studies (English language)
- Faculty of Business Studies
- Faculty of Educational Studies
Saudi Arabia branches
In 2003, a year following the establishment of the AOU, the inaugural Saudi Arabian campus was opened in Riyadh, the nation's capital. Since its launch, the Riyadh branch has experienced significant success, with the center currently catering to a total of 1,500 students. Saudi Arabia's universities have traditionally accepted predominantly Saudi Arabian students, while students from other nationalities have been turned away. However, the AOU was established with a more open approach. The AOU website explains its philosophy of "An Open System of Education", whereby it is flexible in its capacity to accommodate a "wider base of Higher Education (HE) seekers".
Undergraduate programs 2010
The AOU offers three programs co-awarded in collaboration with the United Kingdom Open University (UKOU). The AOU offering the following certifications:
- BSc Computing
- BSc Computing with Business
- BSc Bachelor of Science in Information and Communication Technologies
- BSc Bachelor of Science in Information Technology and Computing
- BA Business Studies – Systems track
- BA Business Studies – Economics track
- BA Business Studies – Accounting track
- BA Business Studies – Marketing track
- BA Business Studies -Management track
- BA English Language and Literature.
- BA English Language with Business.
- BA Elementary Education
- BA Special Education – Mental Retardation
The AOU has three semesters: first, second, and summer.
- Vaclav Snasel, Jan Platos, Eyas El-Qawasmeh, ed. (2011). Digital Information Processing and Communications: International ..., Part 1 (Google book (uploaded)). Berlin Heidelberg: Springer. p. 333. ISBN 978-3-642-22388-4.
- AOU, History. . Available from:'http://www.arabou.org.sa/en/history.php '(Accessed 15 Aug 2010)
- "Open Learning" (Web page). arabou.edu.kw (in English and Arabic). Arab Open University. 2012. Retrieved 27 March 2012.
- AOU, undergraduate programs. , Available from:' http://www.arabou.org.sa/en/undergraduateprg.php# ' (Accessed 15 Aug 2010).
- AOU, KSA. Academic Calendar. . Available from http://www.arabou.org.sa/en/calendar.php (accessed 15 Aug 2010).