Ali of Hejaz
|Ali bin Hussein|
|Reign||3 October 1924 – 19 December 1925|
|Predecessor||Sayyid Hussein bin Ali|
|Successor||Kingdom of Saudi Arabia|
|HRH Princess Khadija Abdiya
HRH Princess Aliya
HRH Crown Prince Abdullah
HRH Princess Badia
HRH Princess Jalila
|Father||Sayyid Hussein bin Ali|
|Mother||Abdiya bin Abdullah|
Mecca, Second Saudi State
|Died||13 February 1935
Baghdad, Kingdom of Iraq
|Burial||Royal Mausoleum, Adhamiyah|
Ali bin Hussein, (Arabic: علي بن الحسين) GBE (1879–1935) was King of Hejaz and Grand Sharif of Mecca from October 1924 until December 1925. He was the eldest son of Sharif Hussein bin Ali, the first modern King of Hejaz, and a scion of the Hashemite family. With the passing of the kingship from his father he also became the heir to the title of Caliph, but he did not adopt the khalifal office and style.
The eldest son of Hussein, Ali bin Hussein was born in Mecca and was educated at Ghalata Serai College (Galatasaray High School) in Istanbul (Constantinople). His father was appointed Grand Sharif of Mecca by the Ottoman Empire in 1908. However, his relationship with the Young Turks in control of the Empire increasingly became strained, and, in 1916, he became one of the leaders of the Arab Revolt against Turkish rule. Following the Revolt's success, Hussein made himself the first King of Hejaz with British support. While his sons Abdullah and Faisal were made kings of Jordan and Iraq, respectively, Ali remained the heir to his father's lands in Arabia.
King Hussein soon found himself embroiled in fighting with the Saud, based in Riyadh. Following military defeats by the Saud, King Hussein abdicated all of his secular titles to Ali on 3 October 1924. (Hussein had previously awarded himself the religious title of Caliph in March of that year.) In December of the following year, Saudi forces finally overran Hejaz, which they eventually incorporated into the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Ali and his family fled to Iraq.
Marriage and children
- HRH Princess Khadija Abdiya – born 1907 – died 14 July 1958.
- HRH Princess Aliya – born 1911 – died 21 December 1950, married her first cousin, HM Ghazi I King of Iraq, becoming HM Queen Aliya of Iraq.
- HRH Crown Prince Abdullah – born 14 November 1913 – died 14 July 1958, married three times first to Melek el-Din Fauzi in 1936 divorced in 1940, then to Faiza al-Tarabulsi in 1948 divorced 1950 and finally to Hiyam 'Abdu'l-Ilah 1958.
- HRH Princess Badia – born June 1920, married H.H. Sharif Hussein bin Ali.
- HRH Princess Jalila – born 1923 – died 28 December 1955, married Sharif Dr. Ahmad Hazim.
Hussein bin Ali
|King of Hejaz
- IRAQ – Resurgence In The Shiite World – Part 8 – Jordan & The Hashemite Factors APS Diplomat Redrawing the Islamic Map, Februari 14, 2005
- Royal Ark