|Key people||Sanford Schwartz|
|Products||Digital automotive marketplace, pre-packaged software|
|Parent||Cox Enterprises, Inc.|
AutoTrader.com, Inc. is an online marketplace for car shoppers and sellers. It aggregates millions of new, used, and certified second-hand cars from thousands of dealers and private sellers. The site also provides users with automotive reviews, shopping advice, and comparison tools for car financing and insurance information. The firm is based in Atlanta, Georgia, and has been featured in The New York Times, Businessweek, and ABC News.
AutoTrader.com was founded in 1997. The company is a majority-owned subsidiary of Cox Enterprises. The company is led by Sanford Schwartz. In 2010, Providence Equity Partners purchased a 25% interest in AutoTrader.com, becoming a minority owner in the company. Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers is also an investor.
AutoTrader.com is wholly owned by AutoTrader Group. Additionally, AutoTrader Group owns Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com) and three other companies that provide software tools for dealers and manufacturers to manage inventory and advertising online: vAuto, HomeNet Automotive, and VinSolutions.
Products and website
AutoTrader.com offers services that help consumers buy cars, sell cars, or research car purchases. For those looking to buy a car, the site offers listings of new and used vehicles for sale from dealers and private sellers.
Those looking to sell a car to a dealer can ask for offers from their local area. After taking their car to the dealer to verify its condition, the owner may then sell the car to the dealer for the offered price, either as cash or trade-in value. For sellers who list a car for sale directly to a private buyer, the site offers options with various levels of service including a level where the firm's representatives handle many of the details, including writing the ad, taking photos, and pre-screening potential buyers.
The firm has an editorial team that reviews new and used cars and provides tips and advice via videos, articles, and social media content. The firm offers its products and services online and on its iPhone, Android, Windows 8, and iPad apps.
The firm owns and operates AutoTraderClassics.com, an online marketplace of classic, antique, and specialty automobiles, as well as DealsonWheels.com, an online marketplace for motorcycles, RVs, trucks, and vehicles under $10,000.
AutoTrader has earned the 2010 Most Useful Automotive Site, from J.D. Power and Associates, the 2012 Information Week 500 Award, and the 2013 Dealers’ Choice Diamond Awards for both New and Used Vehicle Internet Leads.
- Meece, Mickey. "Used-Car Dealers Have a Deal for You. No Kidding.". The New York Times. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "AutoTrader.com Helps Car Shoppers Go Green". ABC News. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Kershner, Jeff. "AutoTrader.com is Sold to Providence Equity Partners". Dealer Refresh. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "About AutoTrader.com". AutoTrader.com. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Home page". AutoTrader.com. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Company Overview of AutoTrader Group, Inc.". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "AutoTrader Group". AutoTrader Group. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "About AutoTrader.com". LinkedIn. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Company Overview". AutoTrader.com. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Paglia, Ralph. "AutoTrader Acquires VinSolutions – An Auto Industry Insider’s Perspective". Automotive Digital Marketing. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Craig, Ted. "AutoTrader.com Buys vAuto". Used Car News. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "Awards and Honors". AutoTrader.com. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Chang, Richard S. "Kelley Blue Book Sold to AutoTrader.com". The New York Times. Retrieved 18 June 2013.