|Genera & species|
The Nematoceran family Axymyiidae is the sole member of the infraorder Axymyiomorpha, though it is often included within the infraorder Bibionomorpha in older classifications. It is known from only six species in three genera, plus three fossil species.
For terms see Morphology of Diptera.
Axymyiidae have the general appearance of Bibionidae.Unlike bibionids axymyiids have four branches of the radial vein, Bibionidae have 3 or 2.
The head is rounded.The eyes of the male are holoptic for a considerable distance and divided into a larger dorsal part consisting of large facets and (separated by a groove) a smaller ventral part of smaller facets.The eyes of the female are separated by a broad frons and consist of separated facets. There are three ocelli on a prominence. The antennae are short with 14 to 16 transverse segments which are covered with sparse short hairs. The oral parts are reduced. The palpi are four- to five-segmented.
Wings have an ocellus. Wing-venation :Subcostal vein merging into anterior alar margin near midpoint; Radial vein 1 reaches distal quarter of wings, there usually fused with Radial vein 2+3; Radial vein 4 branched proximal to anterior crossvein of wing. Median vein 1 and Median vein 2 with short trunks. Anal vein not reaching alar margin.
Tibiae slightly longer than femora; but somewhat shorter than tarsi. Empodium and pulvilli well developed.
Larvae live in decomposing wood
- Axymyia McAtee 1921
- Mesaxymyia Mamaev 1968
- Protaxymyia Mamaev & Krivosheina 1966
- Krivosheina, M. G. 2000. A. 2. Family Axymyiidae, pp. 31–39. In L. Papp, and B. Darvas [eds.]. Contribution to a Manual of the Palaearctic Diptera, Appendix. Science Herald, Budapest, Hungary.
- B. M. Mamaev Family Axymyiidae in Bei-Bienko, G. Ya, 1988 Keys to the insects of the European Part of the USSR Volume 5 (Diptera) Part 2 English edition.
- Mamaev, B. M. 1968. New nematocerous Diptera of the USSR fauna (Diptera, Axymyiidae, Mycetobiidae, Sciaridae, Cecidomyiidae). Entomol. Oboz. 47: 605–616.
- Mamaev, B. M., and N. P. Krivosheina. 1966. New data on the taxonomy and biology of Diptera of the family Axymyiidae. Entomol. Obozr. 45: 168–180.
- UBC Diptera Description of Order and Families in British Columbia Family description.
|This article related to members of the insect order Diptera (true flies) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Axymyiidae|