Barbara Hillary (adventurer)
Barbara Hillary (born 12 June 1931, San Juan Hill, Manhattan, currently known as Lincoln Center) was the first known African-American woman to reach the North Pole, which she did at the age of 75 in 2007. She subsequently reached the South Pole in January 2011 at the age of 79, becoming the first African-American woman to reach both poles.
Awards and honors
- Special Citation from the United States House of Representatives
- Special Resolution 466 honoring and recognizing her achievements introduced by Representative Gregory Meeks
- “Individual of Inspiration and Dedication” award from the Office of the Borough President, the Honorable Marty Markowitz, Brooklyn, New York
- Special Proclamation from Southhampton Township
- Special Acknowledgment from the Explorers Club, Lowell Thomas Awards Dinner
- Life Membership, Frederick A. Cook Society
- Life Membership, National Rifle Association
- Wildlife Alliance Membership
- Honorary Member of OWL, the National Older Women's League
- "Woman of Courage Award" from the National Organization of Women
- “Spirit of America Award” from the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association
- Rotary Club Award from the Rotary Club of Southampton, Long Island
- Rotary Club Award from the Rotary Club of Great Neck, Long Island
- "Twisted Spike Award" for the athletic achievement of skiing to the North Pole.
- Presentation Knife Award from Buck Knives
- She has also been honored by Sri Chinmoy, a noted visionary and spiritual leader, as an "Individual of Inspiration and Dedication"
- Sri Chinmoy Champion Athlete Award
- Buick Club Membership
- Barbara Hillary's personal website
- Resolution from 110th Congress H.Res. 466
- CNN Interview 5/18/09: Black woman reaches North Pole
- CNN.com Interview: "Fear makes you more careful"
- I Know a Woman Like That- Documentary by Elaine Madsen
- Seattle Times article: "75-year-old cancer survivor skis to North Pole"
- Aging Horizons Bulletin: "Pioneering Black Woman Proves Dreams Have No Expiry Date"
- Cross-Country Skiier Magazine: "On Top of the World"
- Women's Adventure Magazine: "The Arctic's Grande Dame"
- Advance for Radiation Oncology: "Lessons From the North Pole"
- New Yorker Magazine: True North"
- Toledo Blade: "Black woman, 75, skis to North Pole and marks a first"
- The Doctor Weighs In: "Barbara Hillary – a new kind of oldster"
|This article about an explorer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|