Barbie & the Diamond Castle
|Barbie and the Diamond Castle|
Theatrical Release Poster
|Directed by||Gino Nichele|
|Produced by||Nancy Bennett
|Written by||Elana Lesser
|Music by||Arnie Roth|
|Edited by||Tim Jones|
|Distributed by||Universal Studios Home Entertainment|
|Release dates||September 9, 2008|
|Running time||78 min.|
Barbie and the Diamond Castle is a 2008 direct-to-video computer-animated film that was released on September 9, 2008. The film features the voice of Kelly Sheridan, who has voiced Barbie in the CGI Barbie film series. It is the third musical in the series.
Songs for the film were written by Amy Powers, Guy Roche, Russ DeSalvo, Gabriel Mann, Megan Cavallari and Jeannie Lurie along with executive producer Rob Hundnut. "Connected", the main song, was sung by Katherine McPhee.
The movie begins with Barbie and Teresa writing a song together on their guitars when Barbie's sister Stacie storms in, angry at her friend Courtney. Barbie decides to tell Stacie the story of two friends named Liana and Alexa, who also get angry at each other.
The two best friends live in a hut beside a beautiful garden and plant flowers to make a living. They also share a love of music. One day, they find two heart-shaped stones which they make into necklaces to symbolize their friendship, not realizing that they are trinkets from the mythical Diamond Castle. The next day, an old woman gives them a mirror after they share the last of their food with her. The mirror is the hiding place of Melody, an apprentice muse. Melody is on the run from Lydia, one of three muses who lived in the Diamond Castle. Lydia became evil and turned the other two muses to stone, but not before they hid the Castle and left the key with Melody. If Lydia finds the Diamond Castle, all music will end, and with it eventually the world. Liana and Alexa coax a song out of Melody by singing, and Lydia's minion, a dragon known as Slyder, locates Melody by her voice.
With their home destroyed by Slyder, Alexa and Liana go with Melody to find the Diamond Castle and keep it safe from Lydia. They find two small puppies and at an inn meet twin musicians named Ian and Jeremy, who hear the girls sing and instantly fall for them, but the girls leave them behind at the inn. Lydia confronts them, and tries to cast a spell on them with her flute, but the girls' necklaces protect them. Lydia sets Slyder on them, but Ian and Jeremy arrive and they all escape.
The girls, travelling with the twins, meet a troll who vows to eat the boys unless the girls answer his riddle. They do, which frees the boys and reveals a rainbow bridge that carries the girls off, leaving the boys behind. Liana and Alexa soon run out of food. They find a mansion and go to ask for shelter, but the servants there (bewitched by Lydia) tell them that they are the long-awaited mistresses of the house. Alexa wants to stay, but Liana wants to honor the promise they made to Melody, and they argue. Liana leaves and Alexa stays, ripping off her necklace in anger. Slyder arrives and takes Alexa to Lydia. After determining that Melody is not with Alexa, Lydia uses her flute's powers to find Liana, and because Alexa is not wearing her necklace, she falls under Lydia's spell. Alexa tells Lydia that Liana and Melody are heading to the seven stones, where the Diamond Castle is hidden.
After Liana is kidnapped, Lydia uses Alexa to scare Melody into revealing the whereabouts of the Diamond Castle. Although Lydia promises to release Liana and Alexa once the Diamond Castle is hers, Slyder knocks the two girls over a cliff, and they narrowly escape falling into acid. Liana uses Alexa's necklace to undo Lydia's spell, and they climb up the cliff. One of the puppies leads the twins to the girls, and together they all head to the hiding place of the Diamond Castle.
Meanwhile, Melody tells Lydia a false story about the key to the castle to keep her busy. The twins lure Slyder away and the girls pretend to fall under Lydia's spell. Lydia creates a whirlpool and commands the girls to jump in and drown, but Liana takes Lydia's flute instead. Lydia threatens to break Melody's mirror Melody, but Melody breaks it herself, not wanting to let the Diamond Castle fall into Lydia's hands. Lydia throws the mirror in the whirlpool. Alexa saves Melody and Liana drops Lydia's flute in the whirlpool. Lydia goes after it, but is caught in the flow. She tries to cast a spell, but her waterlogged flute backfires and she disappears instead.
The girls realize that the song Melody sang earlier is the key, and their singing reveals the Diamond Castle. as they step inside, Melody is released from the mirror and she leads Liana and Alexa to the other muses' instruments. Lydia returns on Slyder and attacks. Melody saves the instruments from being turned to stone, and the girls play and sing, creating a barrier that turns Lydia's spells against her, turning both her and Slyder into stone.
The other muses are returned to life. They make Liana and Alexa Princesses of Music, promote Melody to a full muse and give Jeremy and Ian electric guitars. Liana and Alexa want to go home, so the muses give them flower seeds and send them on their way.
Back home, Liana and Alexa plant the magical flower seeds and beautiful flowers soon grow. Jeremy and Ian are successful in their performances with their electric guitars. When the story ends, Stacie realizes nothing can break true friendship. She goes to apologize to Courtney.
- Kelly Sheridan as Barbie/Liana – Barbie stars as Liana, a 16 year old peasant girl who shares a cottage in the forest with her best friend Alexa. Liana is loyal and brave. She's not afraid of tricky situations (except for thunder and lightning) and she loves to sing.
- Cassidy Ladden as Teresa/Alexa – Teresa also stars as the 16 year old farmer girl, Alexa. She and Liana are best friends, though Alexa often wishes that they could live in grand style so they won't have to worry about anything. She believes in magic, and she has a silly sense of humor. She has a beautiful singing voice.
- Maryke Hendrikse as Melody – Melody used to be a 16 year old apprentice to the two Muses of Music who live in the Diamond Castle. She was trapped inside the magic mirror while trying to hide from Lydia. She loves to sing in harmony with Liana and Alexa.
- Jeremy From as Jeremy and Noel Johansen as Ian – Jeremy and Ian are the 16 year old twin brothers who sing and play guitar. They befriend Liana and Alexa and help them battle with Lydia on their way to the Diamond Castle.
- Kathleen Barr as Lydia – Lydia is a mean former Muse who wants Diamond Castle for herself, with the intention of making it gloomy. She plays her flute to use her evil spells. She is the main antagonist.
- Mark Acheson as Slyder – Slyder is a clumsy, flying serpent and assistant of Lydia. He is the second antagonist.
- Veena Sood as Sparkles/Lily – Sparkles, a cocker spaniel pup and Lily, West highland terrier pup, are a pair of adorable puppies. Liana and Alexa adopt them while on their journey to the Diamond Castle.
- Nicole Oliver as Dori and Heather Doerksen as Phaedra - The Muses of Music, who reside in the Diamond Castle and are gifted with magical musical abilities. Though there are only two of them, their numbers originally included Lydia, who cast a spell that turned all the residents in the Diamond Castle to stone.
- Glimmer – A magnificent winged horse that flies above the Diamond Castle. She only comes to life after Lydia was defeated.
- Kelly Sheridan as Barbie/Liana
- Melissa Lyons as Barbie/Liana (singing)
- Cassidy Ladden as Teresa/Alexa
- Sierra Boggess as Teresa/Alexa (singing)
- Maryke Hendrikse as Melody
- Lara Janine as Melody (singing)
- Kathleen Barr as Lydia
- Mark Acheson as Slyder
- Scott McNeil as Troll
- Jeremy From as Jeremy
- Noel Johansen as Ian
- Nicole Oliver as Dori/Maid
- Heather Doerksen as Phaedra/Waitress
- Michael Dobson as Innkeeper
- Ron Halder as Butler
- Linda Sorenson as Old Woman
- Veena Sood as Sparkles/Lily
|Barbie and the Diamond Castle: Original Movie Soundtrack|
|Soundtrack album by various artists|
|Released||September 2, 2008|
|Genre||Soundtrack, pop, teen pop, pop rock, acoustic|
|1.||"Connected (End Title)"||Amy Powers, Guy Roche||3:41|
|2.||"Two Voices, One Song"||3:25|
|3.||"We're Gonna Find It"||3:07|
|5.||"Two Voices, One Song (Movie Version)"||1:28|
|7.||"We're Gonna Find It (Movie Version)"||3:16|
|10.||"I Need to Know"||3:38|
- The songs "I Need to Know" and "Shine" were originally from Barbie as the Island Princess and Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses
- "Connected" is an English cover from the Mexican pop group RBD's song "Tenerte Y Quererte", from their 2004 album, Rebelde.
- Official website
- Barbie & the Diamond Castle at the Internet Movie Database
- Barbie & the Diamond Castle at AllMovie
- Barbie & the Diamond Castle at Rotten Tomatoes
- Barbie Diamond Castle