Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses
|Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses|
|Directed by||Greg Richardson|
|Produced by||Shea Wageman|
|Written by||Elana Lesser
|Music by||Arnie Roth, Felix Mendelssohn|
|Editing by||Colin Adams
|Distributed by||Universal Studios|
|Release dates||September 19, 2006|
|Running time||81 minutes|
Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses is a 2006 direct-to-video computer animated Barbie film directed by Greg Richardson and loosely based on the fairytale "The Twelve Dancing Princesses". It is part of the Barbie film series and features the voice of Kelly Sheridan as the Barbie protagonist. This film was released on September 19, 2006.
Music for the film was composed by Arnie Roth. "Shine", the end title song written by Roth, Amy Powers and Rob Hudnut, was nominated for a 2007 Emmy Award. This is the final Rainmaker Entertainment film made in the Mainframe Entertainment era.
Barbie stars as Genevieve, a princess with eleven sisters: Ashlyn, Blair, Courtney, Delia, Edeline, Fallon, Hadley, Isla, Janessa, Kathleen and Lacey. They live in a castle with their widowed father, King Randolph. The girls' adventurous and free-spirited natures are viewed as "unladylike" and "non-proper" by other members of the royal society, and this leads to king summoning his cousin, Duchess Rowena, to the castle to help raise them. Unknown to him, Rowena plans to poison the king and get rid of his daughters so that she can be queen. Attempting to break the girls' spirits, Rowena makes the princesses' lives miserable by stripping the castle of everything they love, as well as banishing dancing and singing from the castle.
The princesses find comfort in their late mother's (Queen Isabella) favorite story, which tells of a magical kingdom where gold flowers grant wishes and a princess could dance at an enchanted pavilion for three nights. The princesses figure out that the story contains clues on how to really enter the magical kingdom from their bedroom by dancing on specific stones on the floor. The princesses also discover the healing properties of the water in this kingdom.
The next day, the girls are tired and the duchess finds their new dancing shoes worn through, arousing her suspicions. The royal cobbler and Genevieve's love interest, Derek, comes to fix their shoes and sees that they are covered in gold dust. Genevieve asks Derek to find out what Rowena's true intentions are, especially since Randolph has mysteriously fallen ill. That night the princesses return to the magical kingdom to dance under the nose of Rowena's footman, Desmond, who is standing guard outside the princesses' room. During this time, Derek discovers that Rowena is stealing heirlooms from the castle and dealing with an apothecary and rushes back to the kingdom.
The next morning, the sisters are exhausted. Rowena interrogates and threatens them, but when they tell her the truth she refuses to believe them and forces them into servitude. Heartbroken, the princesses return to the magical kingdom, and Rowena finds the sisters gone the next morning. That evening, Derek makes it back to the castle but discovers that the princesses are missing. He sneaks into their bedroom and, remembering the dance Genevieve had shown him earlier, enters the magic realm and reports his findings to the girls. Rowena's monkey minion, Brutus, witnesses Derek entering the Realm and reports back to Rowena, who uses this knowledge to get in, steal some flowers that grant wishes, and then destroying the doorway behind her after she returns to the castle.
The princesses and Derek are trapped in the Magical Realm. They eventually figure out that when Genevieve and Derek dance together, everyone floats up into the sky and return home through a different gateway that leads to their mother's dance pavilion.
Once back, the sisters and Derek discover that Rowena is acting queen. The princesses break into the castle to confront Rowena, and after a struggle Rowena uses the flowers to wish for Genevieve to dance forever. But when the flower dust comes towards her, Genevieve produces her fan and blows it back at Rowena, who starts dancing instead. Desmond joins her while trying to help and the two villains dance their way out of the castle and the film.
It is revealed that Lacey has saved some water from the magical kingdom. She uses it, and thereby heals the dying king. Randolph explains that Rowena was poisoning him and apologizes to his daughters for not believing them. The film ends with everything made right as Genevieve and Derek celebrate their wedding.
Cast and characters
Each Princess is designated with a gemstone and a flower. Each princess' flower appears on their dresses, the book gifted to each of them and also on the stones on the floor of their bedroom.
- Ashlyn, voiced by Nicole Oliver, is the 22 year old oldest sister. She is practical, calm and knowledgeable. She loves music, especially playing the flute and oboe. She is straightforward and cares for her sisters, for whom she tries to act as a role model. Her flower is the purple geranium and her gemstone is a garnet. She bears the most resemblance to her mother Queen Isabella. Purple dress (for the Barbie doll(s).
- Blair, voiced by Jennifer Copping, is the 21 year old 2nd sister. She loves horses and riding and collects music boxes. Feisty and outspoken, Blair is always the first to voice her opinion, especially her complaints about Rowena's presence in their lives. Her flower is larkspur and her gemstone is a ruby. Red dress (for the Barbie doll(s).
- Courtney, voiced by Lalainia Lindbjerg, is the 20 year old 3rd sister and is close to Ashlyn and Blair. She seems to be the shyest of the twelve sisters. Her favorite hobby is reading, which makes her totally oblivious to her surroundings because she always has her nose in a book. However, her constant reading makes her intelligent and open-minded. Her flower is the forget-me-not and her gemstone is a sapphire. Blue dress (for the Barbie doll(s).
- Delia, voiced by Kathleen Barr, is the adventurous 19 year old 4th sister. She loves sports, especially croquet and horseback riding. Her flower is the sunflower and her gemstone is a green peridot. Green dress.
- Edeline, voiced by Chiara Zanni, is the 18 year old 5th sister. She loves to play sports, but her favorites are badminton and croquet. She also tends to be messy and disorganized. Her flower is honeysuckle and her gemstone is orange citrine. Orange dress.
- Fallon, voiced by Adrienne Carter, is the 17 year old 6th sister. She loves animals, plays the harp and is a total romantic who hopes everyone can find their happily ever after. She likes writing stories, hearts, and lace and is quite boy crazy. Her flower is the camellia and her gemstone is a pearl. Magenta dress.
- Genevieve, voiced by Kelly Sheridan, is the 16 year old 7th sister, the middle child due to being the youngest of the first six sisters yet older than her five younger sisters by comparison, and the protagonist of the film. She tends to be unintentionally late for all sorts of occasions. She is also an experienced chess player. Next to her family, Genevieve loves dancing more than anything. Derek, the royal cobbler, harbors romantic feelings for her. Her flower is the pink rose and her gemstone is a pink opal. Red and pink dress.
- Hadley, voiced by Ashleigh Ball, is the 12 year old 8th sister and Isla's fraternal twin. She loves to dance on stilts, something she shares with Isla. Her flower is the narcissus and her gemstone is a topaz. Turquoise dress.
- Isla, also voiced by Ashleigh Ball, is the 12 year old 9th sister and Hadley's fraternal twin. Isla is a skilled acrobat and enjoys dancing on stilts with her twin. Her flower is the lily of the valley and her gemstone is an emerald. Dark purple dress.
- Janessa, voiced by Britt McKillip, is 5 years old and is the 10th sister and leader of the young fraternal triplets. She is interested in bugs and loves collecting them. While she may be bossy at times, her intentions are always good. Her flower is the jonquil and her gemstone is aquamarine. During the movie she, Kathleen, and Lacey celebrates their 5th birthday. Light blue dress.
- Kathleen, voiced by Maddy Capozzi, is 5 years old and is the 11th sister, the middle triplet and is close with both triplets. She loves art and enjoys painting, but tends to be messy like her big sister, Edeline. Kathleen is down-to-earth and helps keep balance among the triplets. Her flower is the daisy and her gemstone is a pink diamond. Light pink dress.
- Lacey, voiced by Chantal Strand, is 5 year old;and the youngest, she is very close to her big sister, Genevieve. Being the youngest, she is timid, somewhat clumsy and frequently needs help for the simplest things. Even though she loves her sisters and her father, Lacey often wonders about where she belongs in her large family. Her flower is the white lily and her gemstone is an amethyst. Light purple dress.
- Derek, voiced by Shawn McDonald, is the handsome royal cobbler. He is friends with Genevieve and her sisters, but he is secretly in love with Genevieve and he becomes the princesses' main ally in stopping Rowena. At the end of the film, he and Genevieve are happily married among their families and friends.
- Felix, voiced by Gabe Khouth, is Derek's talking parrot. He wants Derek and Genevieve to be together, often blabbing hints about how Derek feels to Genevieve, which causes great embarrassment for his master.
- Duchess Rowena, voiced by Catherine O'Hara, is King Randolph's cousin and the villain of the film. She is brought to the castle to help the king raise his twelve daughters. She seeks to steal the throne by poisoning Randolph and getting rid of the twelve princesses. She is doomed to dance forever when the spell she tried to use on Genevieve backfires.
- King Randolph, voiced by Christopher Gaze, is the father of the twelve dancing princesses. He loves his daughters more than anything, but is determined to let Rowena turn them into "proper princesses". Little does he know, that Rowena is slowly poisoning him in an attempt to steal his throne and that it is up to his "unruly" daughters to save him.
- Desmond, voiced by Gary Chalk, the main antagonist is Rowena's large and ruthless footman. He seems to have a crush on Rowina, doing anything she says to please her. He is doomed to dance with her forever when he tries to free the cursed duchess.
- Twyla, also voiced by Nicole Oliver, is Genevieve's pet kitten. She tries to act tough in front of her enemies and is constantly fighting with Rowena's monkey, Brutus. She is friends with Felix and believes that she is related to the tigers of India.
- Brutus, voiced by Peter Kelamis, is Rowena's pet monkey, who is just as cruel and arrogant as his mistress. He loves making Twyla angry and often spies on the princesses to find ways to get them in trouble with Rowena.
- Queen Isabella is the late mother of the twelve princesses. She is seen in the movie through a portrait that hangs near the entrance of the castle. Even in death, she helps her daughters discover the magical kingdom and the importance of family. During the movie, it was shown that Rowena has stolen an heirloom—her goblet.
- Mr. Fabian, voiced by Mark Oliver, is the apothecary who sells Rowena poisons in exchange for stolen goods. Eventually tracked down by Derek, who trades his horse for Queen Isabella's goblet.
- Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses at the Internet Movie Database
- Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses at allmovie
- Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses at Rotten Tomatoes
- Official Website (United States)