Location of Bellingwedde (green) in Groningen (dark grey) and the Netherlands (grey)
|Established||1 January 1968|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Janneke Snijder-Hazelhoff (acting) (VVD)|
|• Total||110.08 km2 (42.50 sq mi)|
|• Land||108.39 km2 (41.85 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.69 km2 (0.65 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1 m (3 ft)|
|• Density||82/km2 (210/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Bellingwedde (Dutch pronunciation: [ˌbɛlɪŋˈʋɛdə] ( )) is a municipality with a population of 8,908 in the province Groningen in the northeast of the Netherlands. It contains the villages Bellingwolde, Blijham, Oudeschans, Veelerveen, Vriescheloo, and Wedde. The acting mayor of Bellingwedde is Janneke Snijder-Hazelhoff (VVD) and the aldermen are Lea van der Tuin (CDA) and Jannes Buiter (PBB).
The name Bellingwedde is a contraction of Bellingwolde and Wedde, which are the names of the two municipalities that were merged in 1968 to form Bellingwedde. At the time, three names were being considered for the new municipality: Bellingewedde as proposed by the province of Groningen, Bellingwolde-Wedde as proposed by the municipal council of Bellingwolde, and Bellingwedde as proposed by the municipal council of Wedde. The province selected the last option, which was eventually also accepted by the municipal council of Bellingwolde.
|This section requires expansion. (January 2014)|
On 1 September 1968, the municipality Bellingwedde was formed by merging the municipalities of Bellingwolde and Wedde.
Bellingwedde is bordered by the Dutch municipalities of Oldambt (in the north), Pekela (west), Stadskanaal (south-west), and Vlagtwedde (south), and by the German municipalities of Rhede (south-east) and Bunde (north-east). The nearest city is Winschoten.
The north border of the municipality follows the river Pekel Aa. The river Westerwoldse Aa crosses the east of Bellingwedde from south to north. The canal B.L. Tijdenskanaal, that unites the Mussel-Aa-kanaal and the Ruiten-Aa-kanaal in the south, crosses the west of Bellingwedde from south to north.
|This section requires expansion. (January 2014)|
The municipal council consists of 13 elected members. The 2010 municipal elections had a turnout of 56.38% in Bellingwedde. As a result of the elections, the national Labour Party (PvdA) and the local Plaatselijk Belang Bellingwedde (PBB) became the two largest parties in the municipal council, with three seats each. The national parties Socialist Party (SP), People's Party for Freedom and Democracy (VVD), and Christian Democratic Appeal (CDA) have each two seats, and GreenLeft (GL) has one seat.
The current appointed mayor (acting) is Janneke Snijder-Hazelhoff (VVD) and the aldermen are Lea van der Tuin (CDA) and Jannes Buiter (PBB). The college of the mayor and aldermen in Bellingwedde was formed after the 2010 elections and started as a coalition between Christian Democratic Appeal, GreenLeft, and Plaatselijk Belang Bellingwedde. In August 2013, alderman Marja Bos resigned and as a result GreenLeft left the coalition. In November 2013, mayor Erik Triemstra (CDA) left at the end of his six-year term. Although the PvdA had the most votes, it is not part of the local coalition.
|Plaatselijk Belang Bellingwedde||851||20.18||-6.15||3||0|
|People's Party for Freedom and Democracy||603||14.30||+3.02||2||+1|
|Christian Democratic Appeal||537||12.73||-0.87||2||0|
The (acting) mayors of Bellingwedde since the formation of the municipality:
- Hendrikus Johannes Eijsink (1968–1970)
- Jurjen Jan Hoeksema (1970–1978)
- Engbert Drenth (1979–2007)
- Chris Arlman (2007) as acting mayor
- Erik Triemstra (2007–2013)
- Janneke Snijder-Hazelhoff (2013–present) as acting mayor
Bellingwedde is twinned with:
There are two museums in Bellingwedde. Museum de Oude Wolden in Bellingwolde is a regional museum about the art and history of Oldambt and Westerwolde. It has temporary exhibitions and a permanent exhibition with paintings of Lodewijk Bruckman from the municipal collection of Bellingwedde. Vestingmuseum Oudeschans in Oudeschans is a history museum about the fortification of Oudeschans. It has a collection of archaeological findings from the 17th and 18th century on display.
There are five windmills in the municipality: De Korenbloem in Vriescheloo, Niemans Molen in Veelerveen, Spinnenkop Wedderveer in Wedderveer, Veldkamps Molen in Bellingwolde, and Weddermarke in Wedde.
- "Collegeleden" [Members of the board] (in Dutch). Gemeente. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 9698AE". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 10 March 2014. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- (Dutch) Henk Beernink, Zitting 1967-1968-9409, National Library of the Netherlands. Retrieved on 6 January 2014.
- Ad van der Meer & Onno Boonstra, Repertorium van Nederlandse gemeenten 1812-2006, Data Archiving and Networked Services, 2006. Retrieved on 2013-05-20.
- (Dutch) Over Bellingwedde, Municipality of Bellingwedde. Retrieved on 27 April 2014.
- (Dutch) Contact, Gemeente Bellingwedde. Retrieved on 2013-06-13.
- (Dutch) Databank Verkiezingsuitslagen, Kiesraad. Retrieved on 2013-06-14.
- (Dutch) Collegeleden, Gemeente Bellingwedde. Retrieved on 7 January 2014.
- (Dutch) Wethouder Bos neemt ontslag in Bellingwedde, RTV Noord, 2013. Retrieved on 7 January 2014.
- (Dutch) Burgemeester Triemstra kondigt vertrek aan, Gemeente Bellingwedde, 2013. Retrieved on 7 January 2014.
- Voorlopige verkiezingsuitslagen gemeente Bellingwedde (19-03-2014), Municipality of Bellingwedde, 2014. Retrieved on 23 March 2014.
- (Dutch) Partnerschappen, Gemeente Bellingwedde. Retrieved on 2013-06-13.
- (German) Nachbarn und Freunde, SonntagsReport, 2009. Retrieved on 2013-06-13.
- (Polish) Gminy partnerskie, Gmina Nowogród Bobrzański. Retrieved on 2013-06-13.
- (Dutch) Overzicht van aangewezen en in procedure zijnde stads- en dorpsgezichten, Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed, 2013. Retrieved on 13 March 2014.
- (Dutch) Musea en monumenten, Gemeenste Bellingwedde. Retrieved on 11 January 2014.
- (Dutch) Programma, Museum de Oude Wolden. Retrieved on 11 January 2014.
- (Dutch) Vestingmuseum, Vesting Oudeschans. Retrieved on 11 January 2014.
- (Dutch) Monumentnummer: 8924 - De Korenbloem, Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed. Retrieved on 9 May 2014.
- (Dutch) Monumentnummer: 8921, Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed. Retrieved on 9 May 2014.
- (Dutch) Monumentnummer: 388083 - Spinnekop, Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed. Retrieved on 9 May 2014.
- (Dutch) Monumentnummer: 8906, Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed. Retrieved on 9 May 2014.
- (Dutch) Monumentnummer: 8930, Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed. Retrieved on 9 May 2014.
- (Dutch) Monumentnummer: 8925, Rijksdienst voor het Cultureel Erfgoed, 2013. Retrieved on 7 February 2014.
- (Dutch) Burch Wedde, Stichting De Burcht Wedde. Retrieved on 7 February 2014.