Born and Raised (John Mayer album)
|Born and Raised|
|Studio album by John Mayer|
|Released||May 22, 2012|
|Recorded||Electric Lady Studios
(New York City, New York)
(Los Angeles, California)
Berkeley Street Studio
(Santa Monica, California)
Ocean Way Recording
|Genre||Folk rock, country rock, Southern rock, Americana|
|Label||Columbia, Sony Music|
|Producer||John Mayer, Don Was|
|John Mayer chronology|
|Singles from Born and Raised|
|The Boston Globe||(favorable)|
Born and Raised is the fifth studio album by American musician John Mayer, and was released on May 22, 2012. The first single, "Shadow Days", was released on Mayer's blog on February 27, 2012, and was made available for purchase as a digital download on March 6, 2012. The second single, "Queen of California", impacted Hot AC radio on August 13, 2012. The official music video for "Queen of California" was released on July 30, 2012. The third single, "Something Like Olivia", impacted Triple A radio on November 5, 2012. This album marks the return of John Mayer after a two-year break from the public eye due to the surgical removal of a granuloma near his vocal cords. Born and Raised marks yet another change in Mayer's musical style, incorporating musical elements of folk and Americana that take influences from Bob Dylan, Neil Young, David Crosby, and Graham Nash.
American Songwriter stated that "Mayer approaches Born and Raised like a method actor, diving headfirst into his new sound — a mix of Laurel Canyon folk and California country-rock," praising Mayer's technical skills as well as Don Was' production work. Born and Raised has received generally positive reviews from music critics.
Mayer has stated that he began to gravitate towards new "musical ideals" during the Winter leg of the Battle Studies World Tour, and he credits listening to records by Bob Dylan and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (primarily namely the Neil Young album After the Gold Rush), as well as other Americana, as influential for this. He has expressed minor frustration at not being able to begin new musical pursuits as soon as he would have liked, due to commitments to complete the touring for Battle Studies.
Upon finishing the tour, and experiencing a backlash for controversial comments made in a Playboy interview, Mayer decided to step away from the media and out of the public eye for a while.
Early reports indicated that the follow-up to Battle Studies would be called Born and Raised and would be released in October 2011.
On September 16, 2011, Mayer posted on his blog that his new record, Born and Raised, was being delayed due to granulomas discovered in his throat. The granulomas were found next to the vocal chords and are treatable. Mayer described this as a "temporary setback" and that recording and mixing of Born and Raised was entirely finished except for a few remaining vocal tracks. He expects the album to be out in early 2012. He told, "I did a lot of therapy, like anti-acid reflux, and it didn’t work, then I went on vocal rest. No alcohol. No spicy food. No talking. Most of September I wasn’t talking at all. I’d have a Bluetooth keyboard, and someone would have an iPad to read what I type. I had to point to menus at restaurants. People look at me like I’m crazy."
On October 20, 2011, Mayer updated his fans about the treatment of his throat granuloma, announcing that he "had surgery this afternoon to remove it and am now on complete vocal rest for a month or more", during which he plans to "travel the country, look, and listen." Recovering from surgery, and after taking a road trip with friends through Middle America, Mayer moved to Bozeman, Montana.
On February 27, 2012, the first single from Born and Raised, "Shadow Days", was released. On February 28, 2012 Mayer released the track listing for the album and announced that Born and Raised would be released on May 22, 2012.
Promotion for Born and Raised was hampered by the return of his throat granuloma, and thus he was limited to only interviews. Mainstream promotion included interviews on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and The Ellen DeGeneres Show, in which he described Born and Raised as his most "honest" and "cohesive" album. He also appeared as a musical guest on the Late Show with David Letterman, playing guitar with the house band. On May 10, 2012, the Clive Davis Theater hosted An Evening with John Mayer in which Mayer discussed Born and Raised and his career.
In September 2011, Mayer was forced to cancel a small run of live dates upon the discovery of a throat granuloma. In spring 2012, he was scheduled to tour North America, but was forced to cancel the tour after being informed by doctors that his throat granuloma had returned. He has said that he is to undergo surgery again, but that he has "no choice but to take an indefinite break from live performing."
On January 16, 2013, Mayer performed on stage for the first time since April 1, 2011. He was joined by David Ryan Harris, Sean Hurley, Aaron Sterling, Ben Bullington, and Lil Jane & The Pistol Whips at the Emerson Theater in Bozeman, Montana. The concert was part of a benefit organized to help firefighters who battled the previous summer's Pine Creek Fire.
Born and Raised is John Mayer's third number one album on the Billboard 200 in the United States, selling 219,000 units in its first week. The following week, it was again placed at the top spot, being Mayer's first album to spend more than a week in the top spot on the chart. In Canada, the album debuted at number one, selling 17,800 copies. This is John's first number one album in Canada. The album also entered the UK album charts at number four. On September 12, 2012 Born and Raised was certified Gold by the RIAA, selling 500,000 copies. As of December 6, 2012, the album has sold 514,000 copies.
The album garnered generally positive reviews. The album was listed at #17 on Rolling Stone's list of the top 50 albums of 2012, saying "It's a shot at redemption that's as on target as anything he's done."  People magazine stated, "This is a shimmering album, perfect for taking on the road in the glow of spring and summer." 
All songs written and composed by John Mayer.
|1.||"Queen of California"||4:10|
|2.||"The Age of Worry"||2:38|
|4.||"Speak for Me"||3:45|
|5.||"Something Like Olivia"||3:01|
|6.||"Born and Raised"||4:48|
|7.||"If I Ever Get Around to Living"||5:22|
|8.||"Love Is a Verb"||2:24|
|9.||"Walt Grace's Submarine Test, January 1967"||5:08|
|10.||"Whiskey, Whiskey, Whiskey"||4:39|
|11.||"A Face to Call Home"||4:45|
|12.||"Born and Raised (Reprise)"||2:01|
|13.||"Fool to Love You" (Bonus Track)||2:16|
Charts and certifications
|Austria||May 18, 2012||CD, digital download, LP||Columbia, Sony Music|
|United Kingdom||May 21, 2012|
|United States||May 22, 2012|
- "FMQB: Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Nielsen Ratings, Music News and more!". fmqb.com.
- "FMQB: Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!". archive.org. Archived from the original on 17 November 2012.
- "Critic Reviews for Born and Raised". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-01-17.
- Robson, Stephen Gregory (May 21, 2012). "John Mayer - Born and Raised - Album Review". AbsolutePunk. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Born and Raised - John Mayer". Allmusic. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Leahey, Andrew (May 30, 2012). "John Mayer: Born and Raised". American Songwriter. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- Graff, Gary (May 22, 2012). "John Mayer, 'Born and Raised': Track-By-Track Review". Billboard. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- Reed, James (May 24, 2012). "Soul searching suits John Mayer well". The Boston Globe. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- Maerz, Melissa (May 25, 2012). "Born and Raised Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- Gill, Andy (May 21, 2012). "Album: John Mayer, Born and Raised (Columbia)". London: The Independent. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG: John Mayer". RobertChristgau.com. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- Dolan, Jon (May 22, 2012). "John Mayer - Born and Raised". Rolling Stone. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- "johnmayer.com". Johnmayer.tumblr.com. 2012-02-27. Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- "John Mayer Alan Light Interview Part 1". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- @coltondaniel (2011-05-17). "John Mayer to Release New Album in October". andPOP.com. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "One Forty Plus". Jhnmyr.tumblr.com. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- Dish, Daily (2005-08-18). "John Mayer: ‘I was silent for a month’ | Daily Dish | an SFGate.com blog". Blog.sfgate.com. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "One Forty Plus". Jhnmyr.tumblr.com. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "John Mayer on Taking a Break". YouTube. 2012-05-21. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- [dead link]
- "John Mayer, Part 1 (5/22/12) - Video - NBC.com". Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. 2012-07-14. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "John Mayer @ Late Show with David Letterman - 18 May 2012". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- Posted by Team JM. "John Mayer An Evening with John Mayer". Johnmayer.com. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- [dead link]
- "John Mayer Cancels Tour Due To Throat Condition". Billboard.com. 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- Oldenburg, Ann (January 18, 2013). "John Mayer sings for the first time since April 2011". USA Today. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "John Mayer". John Mayer's Website.
- Lopez, Korina (March 22, 2013). "John Mayer to go on tour". USA Today.
- "John Mayer Earns Third No. 1 Album on Billboard 200". Billboard.com. 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2012-06-01.
- Derschowitz, Jessica (June 7, 2012). "John Mayer scores second week at No. 1 on Billboard chart". CBS News. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- "CANOE - JAM! Music: Mayer clobbers Lambert on charts". Jam.canoe.ca. Retrieved 2012-06-01.
- "Bee Gees re-enter UK album chart". BBC News. 28 May 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-06-05. Retrieved 5 June 2012.
- "JOHN MAYER | Artist". Official Charts. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Born & Raised Goes Gold". AbsolutePunk.net.
- "Grammy Nominations Shut-Outs: A Look at the Numbers Behind Justin Bieber, One Direction, Lionel Richie, More". Billboard.
- "John Mayer, 'Born and Raised'". Rolling Stone.
- "John Mayer's "Born and Raised" Is a Perfect Road Trip Album: Review : People.com". PEOPLE.com.
- "John Mayer – Born and Raised". Australiancharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "John Mayer – Born and Raised" (in German). Austriancharts.at. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "John Mayer – Born and Raised" (in Dutch). Ultratop.be. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "John Mayer – Born and Raised" (in French). Ultratop.be. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "John Mayer – Born and Raised". Danishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "John Mayer – Born and Raised" (in Dutch). Dutchcharts.nl. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "John Mayer: Born and Raised" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "John Mayer – Born and Raised". Lescharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "John Mayer – Born and Raised". Officialcharts.de. GfK Entertainment. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "John Mayer – Born and Raised". Charts.org.nz. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "John Mayer – Born and Raised". Norwegiancharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "John Mayer – Born and Raised". Spanishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "John Mayer – Born and Raised". Swedishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "John Mayer – Born and Raised". Swisscharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "John Mayer | Artist | Official Charts". UK Albums Chart Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "ARIA Top 100 Albums 2012". ARIA. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "John Mayer". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "American album certifications – John Mayer". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 2013-08-26. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- "John Mayer - Born and Raised" (in German). Sony Music Entertainment Germany GmbH. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- "John Mayer’s New Album, "Born and Raised", To Be Released on 18th May". Sony Music Entertainment. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- "Albums Release Diary". Digital Spy. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- Lipshutz, Jason (29 February 2012). "John Mayer Sets 'Born and Raised' Release Date". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 17 May 2012.